• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What defines beater ???

yea, for me a beater doesn't mean they are beat up. it means a pair you are not afraid to have get beat up. a frame you don't care about or isn't a collection piece. daily wearer pairs are one level above them. the pairs i wear to work (HVAC construction), or in the pool, or to the beach, or to play sports in are beaters.

Before all the custom guys came along you couldn't give those beater frames away.

Titanium can be sand blasted and it works on black o-matter too to give a matte surface. The beautiful finishes we've seen the last couple of years makes it possible to get x-metals as good (or better) than new though

Man another outstanding job right there. I really like the heat scars on those hammerstems. I need to get a set of those or six.

Yes a beater is simply a used pair of sunglasses. Anything further you need to look at the pics and ask the right questions. What is a beater to one person is a classic or gently used to another one, as you can see by the replies you have already received.
Later
NCH

A beater to me is a wear in any circumstance pair of glasses. It doesn't matter if the frame becomes sweaty or flies off your face. There will be scratches. The hinges aren't super tight.

So. It’s a used frame.... gotcha
no - how did you make that determination ??

I don’t have any beaters, but a beater is a loose fitting, scratched up, fading garbage pair with peeling lenses...

I can sell you a used pair from my collection and I’d price it as a 9/10 pair (my personal glasses)...

If I owned a beater, I’d sell it for 40% less than the one mentioned above...

There are a couple beater frames in the xmetal exchange if you wanna see...

As I already stated A beater to one person doesn't mean it's a beater to another, or even a beater at all. I am not knocking what Mr. Litos said above, he was simply defining what a beater meant to him. Here is what he said:
I don’t have any beaters, but a beater is a loose fitting, scratched up, fading garbage pair with peeling lenses..

I purchased a Plasma Juliet off the Exchange a couple months back and the seller called it a beater., I asked my usual questions and looked at the photos and I ended up buying this so called "beater". The frame was a little looser than I would prefer, but still very wearable, There wasn't a single scratch any where on the frame, there was no fading either. The lenses had some small scratches that didn't interfere with vision at all. The lenses were also not peeling anywhere on either lens. One of the nose pads was missing and there was no box, no coin, no paperwork or bag of extra rubbers that came with them, just the glasses and an Oakley bag. Obviously this seller had a different idea of what a "beater" was than what Mr. Litos considered a "beater".

So you see the point I was trying to make in the earlier post? This is exactly why I said that it is up to you to ask the right questions and look at the photos provided and decide for yourself if it's a beater or not. You will never get everyone to agree on what a beater is or what it isn't, so know what your buying and decide for yourself.
When I was younger I made some good side cash flipping cars. One day a lady called and asked what I would charge to remove an" old junk car" off her property that is buried in an old barn. When I show up to see what this "old junk car" is and after an hour of removing all the crap that had been piled on top of this "old junk car" and when I finally was able to remove the canvas tarp covering the "old junk car", I saw a 1970 Chevelle SS with the factory 454 under the hood and 24K original miles. The next time you see the word "beater" you remember the SS 454 Chevelle, and decide for yourself if it's a beater or not.
Later
NCH