• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal XX keep a hero from going blind, but need repair...

BeardedGhostofValor

Oakley Beginner
So my old Scoutmaster has worn the same set of XX for twenty years or more. (I met him at the 2001 Jamboree, and he was wearing them there, so he's had them a long time now.)

He's been a good friend ever since then, so I go see him whenever I can, and when I was there this week I noticed he wasn't wearing them. He said that they were getting pretty loose and since they were so expensive to replace now, he was giving them a break until he could get them tuned up by someone who knew better than him.

Here's the thing. George was gravely injured a couple summers back while fighting a roadside fire, and if he hadn't been wearing those Oakleys the heat, which burned the beard off his face and melted the shirt to his arms and chest, might have left him blind. As it was he had to have eighteen procedures to repair the damage from the heat that got to his eyes when he took them off. (There was so much sweat running down his brows that he couldn't see, so he handed them to a lady who was bringing him an extra extinguisher and asked her to hold on to them. He used eleven extinguishers that day, and his eyes were exposed for the last three or four. It was a miracle he survived at all. You can read about it here if you like: bit.ly/HeroForgedbyFire)

So, I know he would love to get back to wearing them again, so can anyone walk me through the process of tightening up the parts, or point me to the best videos on YouTube, or whatever else is the best resource for this kind of thing?

I search on "repair X Metal" but there were a lot of links, and I thought maybe asking would help get it narrowed down to the best of it better than trial and error.

Thanks very much! I want to get a pair of my own one of these days, and I'm really fascinated with the engineering, so if the 3D printing thing works out, I'm in!

Roger Goodledy

No problem let me know I can get em fixed up. I'll split everything 50/50 with you @Titan X
I'm a new member on this board so I haven't posted enough yet or been on the board long enough yet to be able to send private messages. I don't want to run afoul of the moderators on my first day, so can you tell me if it's okay to post my email address in the open like this?

I'm glad to help out if new lenses are needed. Sounds like they might be. please let me know.
Eagle Scout since 1985!
Believe it or not, George is also a Class of '85. (I know that because I was born on his date of award, 11-06-1985. He was also my foster father for a couple years, so I know a lot about him. A lot of his Sea Scouts and Explorers had their official dates of award for Quartermaster or the Explorer GOLD Award and stuff like that on November 6. It kind of evolved as a club. A lot of The Elder Brother's little brothers have awards on that date. (The Elder Brother is his Vigil name in the Order of the Arrow and it was really well chosen. My own Eagle was on my seventeenth birthday, 11-06-2002, and my Quartermaster Award was on 11-06-2005 when I hit twenty, so we have the same anniversary date. Some years when we can, a bunch of us get together in Alabama and hang out for a weekend near the date. He was the youngest working Scoutmaster in the country when he started so a lot of us saw him as a big brother more than a father figure. I did too. Even though he was my foster father, he always calls me brother.)

This has been a really terrific experience, and I'm grateful to all of you who replied. I did not expect this kind of help, and I'm really excited to get this done. George's wife can help us coordinate this as a surprise. I'll talk to her today.

I have to get myself a set of Oakleys! I want to be part of this club!

Back