• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Info On The Current State Of X-metal?

We'll be left with very expensive paperweights!
I was talking to someone who had just done their Oakley training here in the UK by the UK people for the retailer, they said that the chaps running the course had said Lux pulled them because there wasn't profit in them the way they were made but they were working on a new method of production to allow the item to be made similar to before but profitable.
It fits with what we've all read before but I can not decide if that is a good thing though.

I was talking to someone who had just done their Oakley training here in the UK by the UK people for the retailer, they said that the chaps running the course had said Lux pulled them because there wasn't profit in them the way they were made but they were working on a new method of production to allow the item to be made similar to before but profitable.
It fits with what we've all read before but I can not decide if that is a good thing though.
While I agree that we don't know if it's a good thing or not, one thing we may be able to take away is at least their trying. I would rather them make something and try to see if we enjoy it then nothing at all, right?

i kinda think it's friggin scandalous to not make consumables like lenses and rubber for these glasses. Hundreds of thousands were likely made....it leaves everyone relying on the aftermarket or paying stupid money for .50¢ worth of rubber!!! Seriously, am i the only one who thinks paying upwards of a hundred bucks for d/c 'ed rubber kits is nuts? I can see the special stuff being limited to the editions they were intended for, red rubber for Ducatis and IH rubber but it still seems nuts to me. I mean EVERYONE has a mishap and damages a lense or two, especially if you WEAR THEM. Mine are never gonna sit on my shelf as unworn jewelry. I wear mine everyday. So, i'm gonna mass them up now and again. I just wish they would produce the lenses and this stuff.
Tim

i kinda think it's friggin scandalous to not make consumables like lenses and rubber for these glasses. Hundreds of thousands were likely made....it leaves everyone relying on the aftermarket or paying stupid money for .50¢ worth of rubber!!! Seriously, am i the only one who thinks paying upwards of a hundred bucks for d/c 'ed rubber kits is nuts? I can see the special stuff being limited to the editions they were intended for, red rubber for Ducatis and IH rubber but it still seems nuts to me. I mean EVERYONE has a mishap and damages a lense or two, especially if you WEAR THEM. Mine are never gonna sit on my shelf as unworn jewelry. I wear mine everyday. So, i'm gonna mass them up now and again. I just wish they would produce the lenses and this stuff.
Tim
The same way Apple still makes replacement click wheels and cases for the first iPod?

your statement make sense but these glasses (X metals) have the ability to last a lifetime, if taken care of. Lenses and rubber truly are consumable items. Besides there is real money in Oakley's pocket selling replacement lenses. Unless a valid successor to the x-metal line emerges, it's not like all of us are going to go out and replace them with plastic o-matter glasses made in China....
Tim

Basically we're stuffed! Fingers crossed when they (if they) bring out the new stuff the rubbers at least can be interchanged, at least then we could buy current stuff.

How would you all feel if there was a new gen of x metals that used the same moulds as say the ROmeos and Juliets? Would it be any different than frogskins being re issued?

I'm not so sure I can believe all of that. It would mean that Lux continued to produce a unprofitable model for six years before pulling the plug, that doesn't make any sense. Especially since most people on here say Lux is all about profit. It does make sense that they would look for a new production method, technology has come a long way since the X Metals were introduced.

Getting older means that you have to watch things come and go. I Love my XX and Juliets but I will be happy with New Designs too!

I'm not so sure I can believe all of that. It would mean that Lux continued to produce a unprofitable model for six years before pulling the plug, that doesn't make any sense. Especially since most people on here say Lux is all about profit. It does make sense that they would look for a new production method, technology has come a long way since the X Metals were introduced.
I was having trouble with it but then I have very little idea on how the costs break down on how they were made. Over here every so often a new law will come to pass and it's not possible to make a process comply with it.I wondered if something like that had happened rather than them just being a loss each pair out of the door the whole time?

Latest Posts

Back