1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. David_Oakley

David_Oakley Oakley Enthusiast

I've seen some examples in the past of copper pennies looking significantly lighter in color than the traditional copper tone associated with copper pennies.

I display mine in a display tower that is not in contact with direct sunlight ever. I never wear it either. So is there a possibility for the copper finish to fade from extended displaying?

Sounds like a silly question, but just something I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

David

nino likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Might be due to paint oxidation. Natural discolouration caused by being in the atmosphere.

3. David_Oakley

so If I were to leave it in the display indoors...out of direct sunlight.....should retain its original color?

4. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

I would say no, that contact with air is a greater contributor to oxidation than UV.

5. David_Oakley

well that is certainly not the answer I was hoping for...but truth hurts ;)

so this begs a follow up questions......the copper finish is not real copper is it? or is it?

Are there any collectors on here that have displayed their copper pennies the entire time of ownership (for years) without issues of discoloration etc?

6. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

The only problem here is it will be a subjective answer, not an objective one.........

7. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

To the best of my knowledge the finish is a copper plating with a clear coating over.
    I would think if this were not the case that the copper finish would corrode much quicker than it appears to degrade.