• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you skip lines that don't have polarized?

hick

Oakley Enthusiast
Nebraska
So in the last month I have picked up 8 pairs of oakley glasses.
(1)Tailpin, (1)Tailhook, (1)Tailback, (1)Crosshair, (1)Tinfoil, and (3)Tincans... All are polarized. I am now starting to look at the Deviation line but noticed they do not have polarized unless you go with a non Oak lens.
I wear all of them regularly so far, sometimes two pairs a day depending on what I do after work. I drive about 30 miles into the sun to and from work.
Would this keep you away from them? What style of metal frame would you like out if so?

I used to only buy polarized, but ever since getting into X-Metals, I seem to have really started to care less about them being polarized, and more just about whatever lenses I can get for them. Sun conditions in TX are extreme bright most days, so when I say it doesn't really matter much to me anymore, it should say something. For the most part I just choose lenses that have low light transmission to handle the extreme sun like Black irdium, and Ice iridium if I can get polarized then it's a plus, but doesn't really bother me. Pretty much anything with less than 14-15% light transmission is good so go ahead and give them a try.

I'm struggling to think of a model released without a Polarised option.

The Deviation, for example, had at least four - so you're wrong about that. I used to have the Light / Black Iridium Polarised, until I sold it when I decided it didn't suit me.

A useful resource for you will be O-Review.
Here is a link to the Deviation range :
Deviation

I don't necessarily skip an entire line if it doesn't have a polarized option. In the case of the Deviation, the lack of options exist because it is discontinued. On the Oakley USA site, the only replacement options are nonpolarized Ruby and polarized Tungsten. Depending on the price paid for a frame, a pair of lenses may or may not be worth it. In my case, I paid $25 for a Deviation (polished black frame, dark gray lenses), and a few months later, I paid $71 for Tungsten Iridium Polarized lenses. $100 total isn't a horrible price.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter in the least here. I used to avoid polarized because you're not allowed to have them in the cockpit of an aircraft because they can wash out the radio and nav screens and make it hard sometimes to spot traffic if its a few miles away and at a certain angle. Now I just make sure I don't have a polarized pair if I'm flying, otherwise it doesn't matter to me at all.

I stick to polarized only. A few times I've tried to use non-polarized lenses and the reflected glare bothers me since I'm used to it being filtered out. If there is a frame that I like which is only available with non-polar lenses, I'll either buy replacement lenses or buy an entire second pair with polarized lenses and do a swap.

Latest Posts

Back