1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Matt Flacche

Matt Flacche Oakley Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I just found my first single-wide display case. I'm sure you're familiar with the 4-shelf X-Metal case. It is in really nice shape. I had a question about the aluminum vertical corners. What do you use to clean up the aluminum. So far I've tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, a No-Scratch (blue) scrubbing pad, Goo Gone, Car Cleaner Wax, and extra fine steel wool. The steel wool seems to be the best so far. The Magic eraser does help a little, but the steel wool seems to be more effective. Do you have any suggestions for cleaning up the corner rails of this case? I already order the plexiglas restore the door and possibly the "walls".

Any advice would be welcomed.

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - IMG_0512_zps7fc6beac.jpeg

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - IMG_0155_zps58125a60.jpeg

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. del518

del518 I have a few pair.....

Mothers Aluminum Polish works well......left side of pic below was after using a little bit.
    Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - 2011-09-04174703.jpg

VolcanOG and RoTors like this.
  3. Wicked

Wicked Oakley Expert Premium Member

Congrats on the new case, just picked my 1st up yesterday. I see yours has the light, I'm looking for one for my case now.

4. Matt Flacche

It has the diffuser lens at the top, but no light. I ordered custom LED lights from a vendor on eBay. It's 3 separate 10" strips, connected in line, so I can have three rows of lights (front, middle, back). It will have a remote control with dimmer. I am making non-Oakley case. It is all real glass with aluminum corners. On that case, I have two 16" LED strips, again with remote and dimmer. Thanks for the tip on Mothers. I'm going to Pep Boys right now to get some. The Plexiglas treatment should be here next week. I have about 20 pairs of glasses, so this case is going to fill up fast ;)

5. Matt Flacche

Is that your C2? I have a 2007 C6 Coupe.

6. Wicked

Wicked Oakley Expert Premium Member

Yup. If my garage was bigger, I'd love a C6.....Best of both worlds :)

7. Matt Flacche

My father had a 1963 split window in the silver finish. It was a beaut! What are the specs on your whip?

8. Matt Flacche

The Mother's was not what I was looking for . I was polishing the panels more than the original finish. So I went back to steel wool. It's a lot of work, but I have the corners almost where I want them. I have to pick up the finest grade of steel wool tomorrow. I used the 2nd to finest... I would just like to get it a little smoother if possible. The lights are coming this week, and the plexiglas repair system is already here.

RoTors likes this.
  9. Matt Flacche

I steel-wooled the entire frame of the case, 00, 000 and finally 0000. Then I cleaned all of the plexiglas with the NOVUS 3-step system. It works GREAT. I added some custom LED lighting from a vendor on eBay, and here she is...

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - case_zps0f5b8e66.jpg
    Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - tens_zps58687c45.jpg
    Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - whiskers_zpse56965db.jpg

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - case_zps0f5b8e66.jpg

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - tens_zps58687c45.jpg

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case - whiskers_zpse56965db.jpg

Oakley dork, Spenc, VolcanOG and 2 others like this.
  10. Ecko

Ecko Team RamRod Staff Member Premium Member

Great job. Good time spent.