• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Clean Microfiber Bags

hearno

Oakley Collector
I know there is a thread for cleaning the glasses but I wasn't able to find anything on this... They can get grimy over time too, is there a specific procedure for cleaning the bags? Should certain detergents be used or avoided to prevent carry-over damage to the lenses you will rub them on later? I have about 10 bags and a few oakley cloths that could stand to be freshened up. Any ideas?

haven't washed mine before but with just 2yrs into oakley I bought 2 new black ones to be used rather than the ones came in the box...was thinking of just throwing them away after 2yrs of usage and replace them again..I'd like to know too how it can be cleaned properly without damaging it...it'll be good if I could save them rather than throwing them away :p

I havn't washed any of mine. If they're anything like microfiber polishing cloths I would wash them with a mild laundry detergent like Tide Free or Dreft. Wash by hand, rinse thoroughly with water, and do a final rinse of water with a little bit of white vinegar mixed in.

i was just thinking about this. i was going to do it the same way i wash my auto microfiber cloths. i was going to use dawn dishwashing liquid soap. auto detailers use that to strip off old wax before the buffing stage. that soap eats away at wax/oils etc. big bucket, add a bit of soap (how much depends on how strong a cleaning solution you want), dilute with warm water. throw the microfiber bag into the bucket. work the cleaning solution in there, maybe let it sit for a few min. then take the bag out and rinse with stream of cold water until you don't see any soap. then either air dry (can tumble dry delicate after a few min to remove wrinkles) or just dry on delicate cycle a little to soften up and remove most of the moisture then air dry the final bit of moisture out (do not let the fibers burn), and that's it. do not add fabric softener anywhere in the process. i was going to try it out when i got some free time in the next couple weeks.

alright guys this is what works best - mild hand soap and warm water. wrinse, scrub thoroughly, make sure to fill the sock up repeatedly, flip it inside out etc. Hang to Air-dry (dont blow dry- first of all hairdriers blow lots of dust around, secondly you can burn the fabric).

youll be surprised how grimy they are. the water will be brown or black in some cases, esp if you havent washed them in ages. and youll notice how well they clean afterwards!

lemme know how you go guys!

alright guys this is what works best - mild hand soap and warm water. wrinse, scrub thoroughly, make sure to fill the sock up repeatedly, flip it inside out etc. Hang to Air-dry (dont blow dry- first of all hairdriers blow lots of dust around, secondly you can burn the fabric).

youll be surprised how grimy they are. the water will be brown or black in some cases, esp if you havent washed them in ages. and youll notice how well they clean afterwards!

i will try this eventually... ill post my results.

+1 Just the way I do it myself.

Cheers

I've always used mild detergent in a bowl mixed with a large amount of water, weakening the power even more. Left to soak for ten minutes, given a little scrubbing inside and out(using the material against itself), then thoroughly rinsed through both inside and outside of the bag and hang out to dry! Works for me.....

Dawn, If it's good enough for oil spill victims. It has been what I have used for years to clean the bags and frames as well.
The trick is like what BriP said I usually hang the bag to dry on a handle of a kitchen spoon or lay flat on towel. In the summer months I'll clean my bags at least every other month. I actually just got some new ones for my Juliets. One of the bags has gotten little nat balls like a sweater it's so old.

I've run them through the washer before by accident from leaving in pockets. It can tear them up in the washing machine if it's a older bag. I've resown several bags that the stitching has come out on.

Back