• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Anybody have trouble with oil inside the ear socks?

I've had a lot of trouble with unobtainium disintegrating in a relatively short time. Bought a pair of X-Squared BNIB in August, then sent in my Juliets for a tuneup. I wore the X-Squared for a month or so exclusively (though that's not terribly often, since I don't wear them while working, and work through the daylight hours all week), then put them away after a cleaning and wore the Juliets again for a while. When I pulled them out of the case and bag, the earsocks had begun to mushroom at the ends and twisted freely on the stems, despite having been fitted so tightly that they never rotated when I put them away. I've got spares for the Juliets, but Oakley hasn't had rubber for X-Squared for quite some time, even in the warranty department.

I can clean out the nosebombs without TOO much trouble, but getting into the earsocks with anything capable of cleaning them out seems difficult, especially as they've already started to mushroom--at which point they generally start splitting at the ends.

I guess the question is, how do I get rid of this, and how do I prevent it from happening in the first place? Also, who makes the best aftermarket rubber, and would I be happy enough with something non-hydrophilic that I could just switch over and not worry about the rubber falling apart?

Thinking I might try soaking them in soapy water, but I doubt much short of dish soap would take out the oil completely.

Ive tried boiling them, but that didn't help much, I believe someone in this thread mentioned soaking them in simple green for 5 min, that worked pretty well for me.

Just thought I'd chime back in to say that I ordered a couple of lenspens on the strength of the recommendations in this thread. Those things are amazing.

Just thought I'd chime back in to say that I ordered a couple of lenspens on the strength of the recommendations in this thread. Those things are amazing.

Glad we share the same opinion on the lens pens. They really do a great job of "dry" cleaning the lens safely and effortlessly. If I may add, you should also get a Giottos Rocket Air Blaster to blow the dust particles out of your lens before even attempting to clean your lens with the lens pen.

Hey all, ive been using wipe'n clear wipes u buy from Costco forever on my daily pairs and ive never had any problems with them. They are great as they literally lift ALL grease and have no chance of dust or particles to scratch the lenses. The odd part is when I read the back of the label it states the ingredients are: water, isopropyl, alcohol and detergent ingredients I have read on here are super dangerous to lenses? Not sure how much is required to damage the lenses but as I mentioned all my lenses are in perfect condition that I wear daily with no sign of wear/peeling. Just a few extremely small micro scratches as expected on a daily pair. Thoughts?
pe8a6uda.jpg
ahe4ete3.jpg
avupagyz.jpg

Not sure drg007, but like I said I use it on all my daily pairs and ive never had any problems. I certainly dont recommend you use it as I dont want anyone to ruin their lenses if its not safe but they have been fine on all my lenses. The best part about them is that they cut through grease like nothing else and EVERYTHING gets removed from the lenses and look like new after every wipe.

Latest Posts

Back