• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
If you're gonna go in any water (salt or chlorinated), rinse them off with tap water afterwards to get any chemicals or salt off.

From my experience don't touch the lenses at all! The less u do that, the less likely they will scratch. Polycarbonate lenses are delicate in that aspect. They won't shatter which is great but for an average user that feature is not a practical benefit of the lens. Bottom line, if you have to use something to clean them, use the silk cloth from the sample hydrophobic found in the box in the new sports performance pairs or just buy the cleaning kit from the O Stores!

I picked up a can of compressed air to help clean out the lens channels in my frames, both for debris and to help them dry out. I scratched a couple lenses by putting them in frames that had some junk inside. They're not visible, but gah!

That's a great idea Rustpot, I'm going to get a can of compressed air for that too!

On a different note, I was in brownnugen's Costco Cleaner thread and it made me wonder about something. I posted the question, but the thread has sorta died, so perhaps this sticky is the more relevant place to post I hope?

I know all the Oakley PI (Product Information) paperwork recommends only using the included microfiber bag for cleaning, and then recommends cleaning the bag often.

Do you wash the microfiber cloths and bags with hand soap (like Dove) and air dry, or do you wash with fine-fabric / lingerie wash detergent like Woolite and air dry? How often do you recommend for a guy who takes pretty good care not to set it down on surfaces where it might pick up errant fibers and things that might scratch the lenses.

I only use the bags to give my pairs a quick wipe to get smudges and finger prints off. The bags stay in the case otherwise. I don't keep the glasses in a bag unless they're going into a pocket.

When I'm doing an actual cleaning I use dedicated microfiber cloths. These don't go anywhere and stay relatively clean.

If you're going to launder the bags I'd run them with your lingerie. Unless you have enough bags for a full load :laugh:

This is also why Oakley sells bags in 5-packs. Better to spend a couple bucks on a new bag after you drop one in the dirt than try to wash it and run gravel over your lenses that didn't come out of the bag!

Edit: Forgot to add that polycarbonate scratches pretty easily. If you wear and use your glasses they WILL eventually get some small scratches, especially if they're iridium lenses. As long as they're small you likely won't notice it. I have a couple black iridium lenses I know have a scratch in them in the main field of vision because I found them while cleaning, never noticed them during normal use.

The only time it's been an issue for me has been using magnified optics during shooting. A scratch in the field of vision will catch my focus when I'm trying to jump between target, reticle, both eyes open and scanning, and operating the controls of the weapon system.

Latest Posts

Back