• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Restore Old Unobtainium That Has Gone Sticky!

I had a few sets of nasty, sticky rubber that I boiled. They turned white-ish and cracked apart. I'm not convinced this is the route to take with these...

hm. i guess it depends on how bad they were to begin with. most of the ones i fixed were just sweating oil, but i also did one that was JUST going sticky. tried soaping it yet? i soap and wash mine before boiling. i guess it gets to a point where theres too mich degradation to save.. in that case youre probably better off coating it in silicone

I wasn't too worried about them. Current generation M Frame rubber isn't hard to find (despite what the people on eBay charging $30 for a set would lead you to believe).

My 2.0 rubber is getting pretty bad though.

I wasn't too worried about them. Current generation M Frame rubber isn't hard to find (despite what the people on eBay charging $30 for a set would lead you to believe).

My 2.0 rubber is getting pretty bad though.

ah, yeah current gen is still widely available. got to take care especially of sport frames, simince the rubber is a softer conpound that absorbs more sweat. i find washing them regularly prevents any problems at all

did this again for some zero arms...just some notes - if oil is sweating out, wash with soap first before boiling. it takes a few boils to get the oils out and stop it sweating oil.

for sticky rubber, it depends how bad its gotten. the stickyness means the rubber is already degraded- when you boil, you will be REMOVING the sticky layer. soap first to clean it, then boil once. top layer of damaged rubber will turn white. use your fingernail to scrape it off.. the intact rubber underneath will remain. once you clear the white gunk, soap and boil again for good measure.

good luck :)

would like to ask. The feeling of earsocks and noisepiece it wont become sticky when sweat touches it right?

Nice read, i recently uncovered some long lost oakleys from my mom's house and noticed this on most of the pairs. Will try to clean these up.

Back