1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. dingo ate my baby

dingo ate my baby I should Work at Oakley

i have wondered this question many times. Has any one ever asked him that? I know restrictions and profit margin shut them down.. I would like to think he would have tried other methods to keep Xmetals alive.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. motoGP_fanatic

motoGP_fanatic Disciple of X-Metal

I believe before he left, he is very well involved in the PB1. Maybe X-Metal is done but Elite line could have some awesome releases.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

ippotaz likes this.
  3. Slojack

Slojack Oakley Collector Premium Member

I think there would have been more offerings worthy of their own exchange here on the forum at least.

4. pistolpetefan23

pistolpetefan23 Oakley Expert Premium Member

5. Oakster

Oakster Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Nope - when X Metal was discontinued it did NOT sell AT ALL anymore. The issue is when you make something too durable, why would anyone buy a new set when they could spend $60 on lenses.

6. Oakley G

Oakley G Oakley Enthusiast

I don't think X-metals were too durable in Oakley's eyes. In fact they had issues with quality throughout the life of X-metal. The Romeo lens spidering issue gave their warranty department grief for a bit and so did the unbalanced/fused coupler issue as well in 2006-Ish. The coating issues of Plasma and titanium were a hassle and took years to fix and after many complaints from users.

I agree that the X-metals sales were dwindling way low but it seems like the lifecycle of the product just took its course and public interest was waning due to lack of marketing support. When the XS came out, it had practically no support compared to the Romeo and Mars when it came out 12 years prior.

7. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

And unless one lost them a tune up every 5-10 years isn't much of an expense either... I love mine, but looking at the number of other people wearing them they didn't sell too well ;)

8. dingo ate my baby

Got the emblem thanks!!!

9. dingo ate my baby

That's why I love xmetals so much ..

10. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Dead horse thread time? :p

pjd1234, OakleyGuru379 and QLR1 like this.