• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

If Jim still owned Oakley,would Xmetals still be made ?

dingo ate my baby

X-Metal Hulk, You wouldn’t like me,when I’m angry
Near the lake Ohio
i have wondered this question many times. Has any one ever asked him that? I know restrictions and profit margin shut them down.. I would like to think he would have tried other methods to keep Xmetals alive.

I think there would have been more offerings worthy of their own exchange here on the forum at least.

I don't think X-metals were too durable in Oakley's eyes. In fact they had issues with quality throughout the life of X-metal. The Romeo lens spidering issue gave their warranty department grief for a bit and so did the unbalanced/fused coupler issue as well in 2006-Ish. The coating issues of Plasma and titanium were a hassle and took years to fix and after many complaints from users.

I agree that the X-metals sales were dwindling way low but it seems like the lifecycle of the product just took its course and public interest was waning due to lack of marketing support. When the XS came out, it had practically no support compared to the Romeo and Mars when it came out 12 years prior.

Nope - when X Metal was discontinued it did NOT sell AT ALL anymore. The issue is when you make something too durable, why would anyone buy a new set when they could spend $60 on lenses.

And unless one lost them a tune up every 5-10 years isn't much of an expense either... I love mine, but looking at the number of other people wearing them they didn't sell too well ;)

Back