• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Introducing OakleyExchange.com

My personal perspective is that this is another step in a growing pattern of revenue generation off this site. When I take this new Exchange site along with the recent Premium Membership, forum sponsors, and the long history of 'interesting' banner advertising ... I just get the feeling that the site has a greater focus on generating revenue, whether that is for OakleyBoss or others, I don't know.

There is no doubt that the main forum is full of Oakley fanatics enjoying a shared passion for the brand. But, for me, this emphasis on new revenue streams has an degrading impact across the forums as well. Again, just a perspective from someone who doesn't post much, but has been a member since just about the start here.

I had asked if there was a way I could pay money to get rid of the ads. The OakleyBoss kept on giving me more extra things after I already paid. Then he lowered the price and refunded me some of my money. For me, that is as far from a "revenue generating" mentality as you can get. I haven't really formed an opinion about OakleyExchange yet, but I doubt getting rich is the reason he created it.

I was pretty disappointed when this got rolled out, my post count isn't that high so I lost access to the exchange forums, despite already having made 3 successful transactions (think I'm missing feedback for 1).

I recently worked out a deal on the oakleyechange.com, the interface isn't very intuitive, I have to keep up with another forum, and I still have to pm ppl regarding shipping to Canada :(

Another suggestion regarding the exchange sections - Can we have it so people are limited to a single sell thread in each section? With being able to edit titles and posts it's easy enough to have a combined ad that grows or shrinks as you add or sell items. And we can even manually lock an existing thread that's served its purpose before making a new one.

This way people aren't making 2 or more threads to sell a few items, and when they get around to bumping their threads they're not dropping half of the first page topics off the page.

Another suggestion regarding the exchange sections - Can we have it so people are limited to a single sell thread in each section? With being able to edit titles and posts it's easy enough to have a combined ad that grows or shrinks as you add or sell items. And we can even manually lock an existing thread that's served its purpose before making a new one.

This way people aren't making 2 or more threads to sell a few items, and when they get around to bumping their threads they're not dropping half of the first page topics off the page.

The only issue with that, is after you perform a trade, the thread should remain there as proof of the trade for the feedback system. In addition a lot of times it will give a good guide for pricing for members selling a similar thread.

What about a rule saying if you are selling multiple items at the same time to post them in the same thread? So if you are selling one thing one day, then decide to sell another pair the next and the first pair still hasn't sold you just add it to the same thread.

That's what I meant I think.

You wouldn't have one dedicated thread per member, but each member can only have one active thread.

So if I wanted to sell 3 pairs I'd post one thread with three pairs. Sell one and leave the info on it there but block it off and just leave links for the pics. Then sell the other 2, lock the thread. Or add another pair and have listings for 3. If it gets cluttered lock it and make a new one. Not to single someone out but a member just made 8 consecutive topics in the sunglasses exchange to sell 8 single pairs. It's kind of ridiculous and every 2 days half of the front page topics will get dropped off for the one member's activities.

The only issue with that, is after you perform a trade, the thread should remain there as proof of the trade for the feedback system. In addition a lot of times it will give a good guide for pricing for members selling a similar thread.

The problem with this is the ability to edit. People go back and remove the price and replace it with "sold" so it really can't be used for future reference. Also, I've seen items removed completely from a thread after its been sold. It has happened to me and this leaves no sale item in the thread to refer to for future reference. This could be detrimental in the instance of having to file a claim and the once referenced item and price is no longer there.

You wouldn't have one dedicated thread per member, but each member can only have one active thread.

So if I wanted to sell 3 pairs I'd post one thread with three pairs. Sell one and leave the info on it there but block it off and just leave links for the pics. Then sell the other 2, lock the thread. Or add another pair and have listings for 3. If it gets cluttered lock it and make a new one. Not to single someone out but a member just made 8 consecutive topics in the sunglasses exchange to sell 8 single pairs. It's kind of ridiculous and every 2 days half of the front page topics will get dropped off for the one member's activities.

Definitely think this is a good idea!

The problem with this is the ability to edit. People go back and remove the price and replace it with "sold" so it really can't be used for future reference. Also, I've seen items removed completely from a thread after its been sold. It has happened to me and this leaves no sale item in the thread to refer to for future reference. This could be detrimental in the instance of having to file a claim and the once referenced item and price is no longer there.

This does bring up a good point. It can be set so no one can edit a thread, but then I feel like we might end up with a large amount of unfinished threads. I think your right about the "sold" point which will contradict the other rule. I might be able to set it so you can only edit for a certain amount of time after creating the thread say 2 days, then you can't.

We definitely need to figure out a clear policy for this!

One active thread per member - Combine all sales into one thread per section. WTB can be separate.

Do not delete price or information on sold pairs (move them to the bottom of the first post and mark SOLD). Delete pictures or change to links.

One active thread per member - Combine all sales into one thread per section. WTB can be separate.

Do not delete price or information on sold pairs (move them to the bottom of the first post and mark SOLD). Delete pictures or change to links.

I was actually thinking that too. It would be pretty cool to see an overall thread per active seller. There are times I look for specific sellers since I know they will have certain styles I am interested in, but I do tend to browse through the rest. As far as coordinating this whole ordeal...that may be a different story haha. I think it's a sweet idea though.

As far as the Exchange site, I feel that it is unnecessary. I agree with a lot of others, and the exchange is one of the best parts of this forum. It allows us to share questions and find out more information without resorting to pure private messages. But that's just my opinion I suppose.

As a side note, I have never had an issue with any exchanges throughout my year on the forum. :Smile:

Latest Posts

Back