• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet straight vs hammerstem fit

yugotprblms

Oakley Beginner
I did see another thread along these same lines, but my issue is slightly different.

I just got a pair of Polished Fire Iridium Juliets from ebay. I already had a pair of Carbon Juliets that Oakley refurbished back in 2013. They did not see much use. Maybe 10-15% of the time. So they shouldn't be too worn down. Rubber all feels great, so does the nose. Flexes "freely" but also in a controlled fashion, if that makes sense. Not hard to get on my head.

The Polished Juliets I just got in are tight as hell. Same temple shock size, same nose rubber size, but they are still super tight to get on. The nose movement is nearly non-existent compared to my Carbons. Any idea what the issue could be? Thanks

The Polished Juliets I just got in are tight as hell. Same temple shock size, same nose rubber size, but they are still super tight to get on. The nose movement is nearly non-existent compared to my Carbons. Any idea what the issue could be? Thanks
Lmao
Sounds like the polished Juliet was retuned with aftermarket flex couplers. It's either the x man did it or someone poured glue into the bridge

also i noticed you say they are "tight to put on," i didn't see you exactly say they were too tight to wear. are they too tight when you are already wearing them or just when you are putting them on?

i don't know how you are putting your x metals on, but you should put them on like goggles not sunglasses. put the end of the stems/arms to the back of your head first and slide the front down second so you don't have to flex the frames at all. don't spread the arms and put them on from the front. that way you save wear and tear on the nose bridge to make them last longer and stay tight.

They're certainly tighter to wear than my Carbons. Those ones open up quite a bit and get can on my head with minimal rubbing on my temples. It's almost as if I have to force these new ones to open. I don't want to break them with my raw strength. Haha

Is that how everyone puts their X-Metals on? I've never once heard that, but I guess I also never thought to search for a special way to put them on.

Is that how everyone puts their X-Metals on? I've never once heard that, but I guess I also never thought to search for a special way to put them on.

yea, most of the guys on here put theirs on like that. i saw people on here saying that advice on how to put them on even before i bought my first pair of X metals. it's not just because you keep the nose tight though. if you have ever put on an X Squared frame you will know why. the ends of the stems are pretty sharp on those and you can really stab yourself if you go in stem to face. lol.

I put mine on like a normal pair of glasses. Only time the ear stems stab me when I use tshocks that are too big

Huh. I guess I will keep wearing them. Maybe they were tuned up and it is just tight rubber. I don't know.

EDIT: More things to say.

Other than the tightness, they are pretty solid glasses. Lenses are near perfect, and no scratches or anything on the frame. The bag it came with had a bit of discoloration on the drawstring, almost as if the guy was a smoker, but no smell. Box is in good condition with the usual coin flap tears. Foam inside was a bit torn though, oddly enough.

Yeah many put them on/off from the top of their head to lengthen the life of the flex couplers or, with R1, to avoid stress cracks.

If they are x-man tuned then they would be tighter than OEM. You can flex them a bit to loosen them a little.

I got some Polished Fire Juliets from CarGuy last year...from what I understand, they were mint, so they had never been tuned by anyone...

holy crap - I tried putting them on like I do my Radars and almost permanently dug the ear stems into my temples - effing ouch !!!!!!

then, I started putting them on from the top of my head and sliding the ear stems down onto my temples.....

to this day, I'm still afraid to put them on from the front.....