• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Minute machine titanium washers

Yeah, I agree, that’s way too much. Even aerospace qualified Ti bolts are not more than 3 bucks each (with the qualification cost making up the majority of the price). Stainless steel should be a fraction. Heavy markup for a custom order, I suppose.

On second thought, it might be worth asking the fastener company for a quote: yes, both, material and machining costs are higher on Ti than on steel. But both are a tiny fraction of what you paid for steel. So if the cost was in the customization (and now they already have the CNC data) they might be able to offer Ti at a similar price (and still make a hefty margin).

Last edited:
The problem is I'm not having 100,000 bolts made. Or more accurately I can't afford to have that many made. It's more along the line of 1,000 pieces. The price per part with only 1,000 order is alot compared to a company cranking out 100,000 or 1,000,000 pieces. The cost per part goes down alot when the quantity goes way up.

I only had the band screws made as well. So to go with all titanium would have to have the minimum order quantity on the 4 case to band screws which is another 1,000 screws, which only 4 are used per watch it's another large cost to make a complete set all titanium.

I can still have em made but I only had a couple people interested so it's not something I've been making a priority. If I had 20 people interested or so would be a little different.

Can get a list going of names. If can get 20 people on board I should be able to get em made. It's just hard to absorb a big chunk of the upfront cost on my own without much interest in buying em. With 20 sets it'd be doable I think.

Back