• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need color suggestions...

I'm debating doing an all-over multicolor job to my Turbines and letting them wear the same way, the giant earsocks are stopping me. I might take one of my M Frame 3.0 frames in tan and just throw a coat of black on top to let wear through. I really liked how the Tens evolved and all the high spots and skin contact areas are worn down, a few scratches, etc.

I have another pair that was dipped in Multicam. I like them as well, but they don't feel nearly as cool (as much as I love Multicam).

I'm debating doing an all-over multicolor job to my Turbines and letting them wear the same way, the giant earsocks are stopping me. I might take one of my M Frame 3.0 frames in tan and just throw a coat of black on top to let wear through. I really liked how the Tens evolved and all the high spots and skin contact areas are worn down, a few scratches, etc.

I have another pair that was dipped in Multicam. I like them as well, but they don't feel nearly as cool (as much as I love Multicam).

I love multicam, but for some reason I never cared for hydro-dipped parts. I don't know if it's the clear they add that gives it that ultra shiny look, or what. I've always preferred Cerakoted parts with just enough hardener added that they still retain a relatively smooth feel and just a very light sheen.

I like the M Frame idea. Those would look great, especially once they start to wear. What color are the earsocks on the Turbines? If they're black, a multicam job might still look good if you left them alone, but painted the frames.

Last edited:
BTW, do your M Frames have the anti-fog coated lenses? How's it work, good? Can't stand my glasses fogging up once I work up a good sweat. Wanted to try the hydrophobic pen to see if that helped, although I'm not sure that's what it's meant for.

I had my Tens left uncleared so they're matte.

The Turbines do have black socks, but getting them out of the frame is a pain. The 3.0 frame has no rubber, no separate icons, nothing, so it'll be really easy.

The 3.0 lenses are anti-fog. It works well enough, better than stock. A frame with good airflow works as well. Hydrophobic is a water shield, the AFR spray is the anti-fog, they sell it for football and hockey shields, not sure if they recommend it for glasses.

I had my Tens left uncleared so they're matte.

The Turbines do have black socks, but getting them out of the frame is a pain. The 3.0 frame has no rubber, no separate icons, nothing, so it'll be really easy.

The 3.0 lenses are anti-fog. It works well enough, better than stock. A frame with good airflow works as well. Hydrophobic is a water shield, the AFR spray is the anti-fog, they sell it for football and hockey shields, not sure if they recommend it for glasses.

Gotcha. And yeah, the finish on your Tens looks good. That's the look I'm after. Much more matte than gloss. I'd definitely do the M Frames. They're already the right style for that worn, used look. Post a pic if you do them. If they turn out as good as the Tens I'd like to see them. A light dust coat of black like your Tens should allow them to wear nicely.

I might go collect some foliage around the yard to use, not sure yet. Maybe just all-over black. Need to find my rattle can stash, somewhere in the garage that hasn't been organized since the move.

I might go collect some foliage around the yard to use, not sure yet. Maybe just all-over black. Need to find my rattle can stash, somewhere in the garage that hasn't been organized since the move.

If you wanna go camo instead of straight black, the foliage works great. I've used leaves, grass, sticks, all kinds of things, and they've all worked well. No need for stencils or anything else. Only thing is the frames are so thin you won't be able to imprint whatever it is you're using, unless it's very small like grass blades, but it'll still give you good natural looking outlining/shapes. Good luck. :cool:

Just a quick update. I Cerakoted them yesterday using heat cure. I figured they'd be fine in the oven at a low temperature for a few hours, but I was wrong. Lol

After removing the icons, I gently blasted them with aluminum oxide at about 35 PSI for a nice evenly prepped surface, and then coated them. They looked beautiful. Nice even, thin and smooth coating which looked just as good as my factory coated frames.

Then I stuck them in the Cerakote oven at 100° and after about 30 minutes they started to deform. The frame started to droop on one side. I was keeping an eye on them every 5 minutes, or so, for fear of this happening. I thought 100° would be fairly safe, imagining them in my truck on a hot summer day with temps well over that and no melting or deforming.

Luckily, probably due to the frames being warm and pliable, I was able to easily get them back to normal. I guess I'll be giving this another try, only this time I'll be using air dry instead of the heat cure.

I'll post with the results of the next go around. Probably towards the end of next week.

Latest Posts

Back