• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Sale Oakley Branded Original Display Case - LED Lighting, Air Filteration, Turntable, idock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Username Hidden said:
To be fair and civil, if you go back to page 2 of this thread, I pointed out a lack of details on some items. I was told details were intentionally left light. I pointed out a patent submission is protection, and asked for more details on the filtration and I was quoted the eBay description which does not address any of that.

The petty comments made me upset after again pointing out a lack of details and told I should read the ebay description. I felt as if my inquiring and requests were being dismissed. And then met with more negativity.
you're right... and I was up to bid deadline and ebay wouldn't let me post no longer... unaware i eagerly tried to send the video.....so I intend to make it clear show how it all works... i didnt have the docking system installed yet ... the speaker AMP and console as well ( in the video)

btw ... very limited details about the Pressurized filter system WILL NOT be explained due to pending patent ... sorry

Some people reacted to this post.
**** I missed all the fun, work... Lol
uploadfromtaptalk1432970434383.jpg

Username Hidden said:
They don't mention anything about that in the classes needed for a degree in sales? I jest.

But really, after reading your eBay description, it doesn't seem like anything I could do in a weekend with a little planning before hand.
I read quite a few posts before I decided to respond to this one...

what she's doing is "original", if you want to call it that because no one else has ever done it before, on this forum at least...

BUT, the reason this case will not go for $1300 or even $900 ON THIS FORUM is because the price doesn't justify the impressiveness.

why ?? because it's just a bunch of mechanical and electrical components that are installed in a case - that's easy work for almost everyone on here....

me personally, I love it, but I wouldn't give close to what they're asking for it...

but I'm just one person - they have it listed on eBay and someone will pick it up....

Username Hidden said:
If creating your own account is too much, could y'all at least please clearly identify which one of you is posting?
they won't create another account, because by their own admission, they're not O-Enthusiasts and they're only here to sell a case...

Catherine/Dennis, let me help you understand where a lot of this hostility has come from.

Here at OakleyForum we are under a near constant barrage of people who join for the sole purpose of hawking their goods on what I can only assume they view as easy prey or a built in audience. Because of that this site has a level of camaraderie unmatched by most others, a sense of veteran members looking out for new members, and often a standoff reaction when someone is perceived to be trying to take advantage of others. We quite literally have people every day who join with their first post reading something along the lines of "I've got X rare Oakleys for sale and can't post in the exchange PM to buy" or "I want to buy X Oakleys and can't see for sale ads". Those type of people are generally seen as trying to take advantage of the community rather than become a part of it, and their goods are usually ignored by the members here out of respect for the rules that this site was built on.

While your membership doesn't appear to have started that way the feeling is very similar. As a relatively unknown member you've posted something for sale far above the typical market value. While it does have a great deal of modification to a collector market that doesn't necessarily increase the value, as you've seen from some of the posts in this thread. The natural knee-jerk reaction from several members was that you were scalping, while some of the more curious members wanted more detail in an attempt to understand the inflated price point. When those requests weren't answered thoroughly it seems that they also assumed you were here to profit off us and leave, and your angry replies (some admittedly justified) only served to pour fuel on that fire.

As far as legally protecting your design goes I think you are paranoid about nothing, at least as far as this site is concerned. There are several members here more than capable of building the systems you described from scratch without needing to steal someone else's design. Some of them have even build Oakley-style cases completely from scratch. On top of that I have my doubts about how much legal footing you'd have for modifications done to a case made by someone else that was never meant to reach the hands of the general public in the first place. If you didn't know it's Oakley policy to have all decommissioned cases be destroyed, meaning whatever modifications you've made are probably done to something that could be classified as stolen goods should Oakley ever decide to pursue it.

So now that I've said all that hopefully you have a better understand of the community you've joined and how we typically go about doing business. If you are able to sell your case at your asking price, great. If not, hopefully this site can help guide you to what a more reasonable price point might be in the current market. Either way it's always nice to see something custom built, thanks for sharing.

Wow, I go on vacation and all hell breaks loose.... Cool idea with the case. Not something I would want in my collection but as mentioned before, in time maybe someone will buy. As for the post above mine, that pretty much hit it on the head.

Did anyone who visits OF daily think this thread would end any other way?

This thread has been locked and really has gotten out of control. Please remember that these threads should be civil - a friendly debate is fine, but it is an exchange thread. If anyone would like to discuss this further, feel free to PM me.

Username Hidden said:
they won't create another account, because by their own admission, they're not O-Enthusiasts and they're only here to sell a case...
Do not put words into our mouths...we already said we were Oakley fans several times...and...I am not just here to sell the case. In fact...I posted a thread in the general case discussion forum and nobody felt like responding....I have also been involved in several other discussions...if I was just here to sell the case....I would not have taken the time...I came to this site to educate myself in all things Oakley....because 1. I admire the brand 2. I needed to educate myself on not only the products but also their fans, followers and end users.....

This pertains to the posts coming below you and above you...

Look at it this way...if this was something anyone else could do easily...why did nobody come forward and say they had already done it? The reason I put the case for sale in here (regretting it now) was because I personally felt we were showing off something different and innovative...not because we had a captured audience for the sale...I already knew that any Oakley enthusiast looking for a case scans craigslist and eBay on a daily basis...so in all honesty....I knew there was no need to post it here for the sole purpose of selling it...it will sell...and for around what we are asking...I have no doubts...because I can see the quality and care of the work first hand and how inventive it is....we are not being paranoid either...we can only go on what we have been advised...the history of the case is actually irrelevant...simply because if the "filteration" (Scottish) is allowed the patent....the license can be sold to virtually any display case manufacturer...so if you look at the bigger picture...we have to be very careful....I hope that gives more understanding of our position...

On another matter....is it really fair to new members here to just assume that because they have something to sell that they are out to fleece you because they think they have a captured audience....if anything...and I can only go on my own sales experience....it is much harder to sell something to a seasoned enthusiast than it is to someone who knows virtually nothing about the brand...I do understand that there probably are people that just post their ad...leave and never return....we certainly do not fall into that category...and that is quite apparent by the way I have answered all of the feedback in this thread ( and 98% of the time in a civil manner) we did not ask for feedback...and did accept most of the views and opinions here in good faith and responded as such although not always agreeing...but such is life...and everyone will never agree 100% of the time no matter the topic...

With regards to price...well that is all subjective....and what one believes to be inflated...another might find it reasonable....that will remain to be seen...

Thanks everyone who took the time to make their feedback constructive, interesting and educational...it has all been taken on board...

Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back