• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Lens Production On X-metal

• Thread starter artsnletters
  • Start date
A

artsnletters

I don't understand Oakley's logic behind killing off Juliet replacement lenses. The juliet likely is the most produced x-metal pair of all the x-metal series. Juliet glasses are hardly RARE as far as things go. Why not produce ALL available lenses and variations therein? I'm sure that all the lenses are mass produced and the specs and tooling is stored in a damn server. It just seems stupid. There has got to be a ridiculous amount of profit in replacement lenses. All Oakley is doing is letting other Mfrs get a leg up producing replacements that obviously arent OEM Oakley. Look how cheap the knock off lenses are. Going to e-bay and paying the crazy prices kinda sucks and they are going to get nothing but worse as supply of lenses gets thinner. Lenses are a REPLACEABLE, wear item. Stupid, just stupid. I don't understand why they don't make lenses (as in maybe a custom order) for EVERYTHING.... what would people pay for NEW OEM Oakley Romeo 1 replacement lenses, or Mag M-Frame lenses? Again, i'm sure all of the lenses are custom cut by a CNC machine or some sort of router. Again, just venting. Opinions?
Tim

My local O-store still gets regular stock of Juliet replacement lenses. Are you sure they are no longer in production?

My local O-store still gets regular stock of Juliet replacement lenses. Are you sure they are no longer in production?

well, there a lot of colors that arent readily available anymore. The customer service dept at HQ said they were discontinued (The juliets) and they had only a few replacements in stock, plenty of VR28 polarized, Fire and Ruby, but NO emerald, Ice Polarized, VR28 non polarized. My local vault had some emerald so i snapped them up. I mean if you keep your glasses locked away in your display case then you really may not need replacement lenses, but if you wear them, as i do, **** happens (like scratches). Look at Oakley corporate site, the replacement lenses available. Not a lot.
Tim

Oh yeah, there are definitely colors they don't make anymore that's for sure.

But this happens with every product Oakley discontinues and yet people are always surprised when it happens. X-Metals have been discontinued for awhile now so people had plenty of time to get parts before they disappeared.

Oh yeah, there are definitely colors they don't make anymore that's for sure.

But this happens with every product Oakley discontinues and yet people are always surprised when it happens. X-Metals have been discontinued for awhile now so people had plenty of time to get parts before they disappeared.

Batwolf is totally right. It isnt Oakley's or any other company's job to keep producing parts forever. If you werent forward thinking enough to grab them when they were available, you have no one to blame but yourself. It may sound easy to you for Oakley to keep producing every colorway they have ever made for the Juliet, but its probably a royal pain in the a$$.

Yea I just picked up an emerald set off eBay for $80 , obviously more.than they once were but for bnib I'm ok with it.

I have to agree here on both ends.

It sucks that they would stop making lenses for such an amazing pair that millions of people obviously purchased and I would wish they could keep making them for a while after discontinuing the item but also from a business standpoint I guess why make something for a product we don't make anymore? If we make lenses for that product people won't buy new sunglasses.

I see the point of the from the customer and from the business.

It sucks but business is all about money and pushing current product out the door. Not helping out with old product. :sad:

I totally see what you mean Tim. Wish it wasn't so though.

Totally agree with the OP. If you're going to make a frame that will basically last a lifetime, there's no excuse for either stopping replacement lenses or no longer offering tune ups.

Te worse thing is people selling on ebay items that oakley still carry(just a few) for crazy prices. Plasma x-squared fire for 500 when you can still order from oakley for 400 shipped like i ordered mine last friday.

Back