• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions on Rx in Flak or Straightlink

zx9r

Oakley Beginner
I'm giving up my contacts and going with progressive prescription lenses. I have a pair of Flak Jackets that I was planning to add the lenses to but having second thoughts if that is a good idea. Would it be better to do the Rx lenses in a full frame like the Straightlink or similar?

I got my update to date prescription from my regular eye dr yesterday (doesn't sell Oakley) and he suggested that due to the wraparound they will be a challenge to get right. My Rx is -2.75/-2.50 w/ +2.00 which I guess is medium strength.

I'll be using them for running and cycling primarily but also driving/daily.

I have a stronger RX in the Flak 2.0 withh Oakley lenses and have no problems with the wrap around. They are lite weight and I can wear them all day with no issues. I don't cycle but I golf in them and they don't move on me. Mine are -3.0 -1.5 and +2.5 for the readers.

It does take a while (weeks for me)to get used to progressive lenses. You have to wear them constantly so your eyes adjust. So if you are not going with regular progressive glasses and just try to wear sunglasses it may be hard to adjust.
image.jpg

Not flak but I have 2 flak 2.0. LOVE THEM! Oakley RX sunglasses are amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Agreed!

To the OP, I have my Rx in a Valve, which is also a full wrap frame. The thickness of the Rx lens is fully hidden when installed. This is because Oakley puts the bevel (where the lens snaps into the frame) towards the front of the lens so the extra thickness is hidden behind the frame. YMMV. Maybe you could consult with @Chris A Hardaway

Also, have you tried the Straightlink? It's quite a bit of a larger fit than the Flak 1.0. Straight Jacket II or Valve are closer in size, but Flak 2.0 might be better for your application.

IMG_8310.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG

Last edited:
I have a stronger RX in the Flak 2.0 withh Oakley lenses and have no problems with the wrap around. They are lite weight and I can wear them all day with no issues. I don't cycle but I golf in them and they don't move on me. Mine are -3.0 -1.5 and +2.5 for the readers.

It does take a while (weeks for me)to get used to progressive lenses. You have to wear them constantly so your eyes adjust. So if you are not going with regular progressive glasses and just try to wear sunglasses it may be hard to adjust.
View attachment 458013
Thanks! Gives me some reassurance. Any chance you have a pic from the bottom to show the thickness from below (wondering if will dig into cheeks)

I do have progressive regular glasses so hopefully adjustment will be quick

Agreed!

To the OP, I have my Rx in a Valve, which is also a full wrap frame. The thickness of the Rx lens is fully hidden when installed. This is because Oakley puts the bevel (where the lens snaps into the frame) towards the front of the lens so the extra thickness is hidden behind the frame. YMMV. Maybe you could consult with @Chris A Hardaway

Also, have you tried the Straightlink? It's quite a bit of a larger fit than the Flak 1.0. Straight Jacket II or Valve are closer in size, but Flak 2.0 might be better for your application.
Thanks Oak Heel -- I haven't tried on a Straightlink or other full frame lately. Sounds like you are on the right track though as something larger probably won't work well for me. I have no complaints with my Flak other than I tend to scratch the lenses more often due to them being more exposed

Thanks Oak Heel -- I haven't tried on a Straightlink or other full frame lately. Sounds like you are on the right track though as something larger probably won't work well for me. I have no complaints with my Flak other than I tend to scratch the lenses more often due to them being more exposed

No problem! I also really like my Flak 1.0. The Straight Jacket is probably closest to it in a full frame. The Valve has a deeper lens and is about the largest frame I can pull off. Definitely recommend trying some frames on and good luck!

I didn't notice the Straight Jacket when flipping thru the Oakley site. Agree, they look pretty similar to the Flak but full frame. I do like your Valves and would be good to have some variation but don't see them so I assume they don't make them anymore. Do you think they'd be suitable for running/biking level activity?

Oakley just opened their first store in our area so I'll check these out this weekend.

I appreciate the extra photo Da veracity. Gives me a much better idea. Doesn't look like any need to be concerned.

Back