• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions on Rx in Flak or Straightlink

I didn't notice the Straight Jacket when flipping thru the Oakley site. Agree, they look pretty similar to the Flak but full frame. I do like your Valves and would be good to have some variation but don't see them so I assume they don't make them anymore. Do you think they'd be suitable for running/biking level activity?

Oakley just opened their first store in our area so I'll check these out this weekend.

Straight Jacket is still in production, I believe. Will link it below. I'm not sure about the Valve, but there are loads of them on eBay. Last time I was at an O-store, they had an SJ to try on, but not a Valve.

I think any of them could be used for running/cycling, but you might run into the issue of the lenses fogging up with the full frames. All the ones you're looking at have rubber earsocks and nosebombs so they should stay in place. When I go running, I wear a Flak 1.0 or 2.0 since they are more sports oriented. Its easier for me tho since I also wear contacts mainly and don't have the need for them to be Rx.

You should also consider replacement rubber components, which you might need at some point since you will be running/cycling with them. Flak 1.0, Flak 2.0, and SJ rubber kits are readily available, but OEM Valve earsocks seem to be hard to come by. Ended up buying a donor frame on the bay in case I need to replace the socks on my Valve. Hope this helps!!

Oakley Straight Jacket® Standard Issue MATTE BLACK, GRAY | Oakley US Store

I have RX lens in all my Oakley's now, a Ti crosshair with Sapphire prizm, Tincan Carbon with Fruby polarized, and Monster Dog with tungsten polarized. I have my Juliets getting tuned by @zwc0442 right now then they are going to the optometrist for lens and a second set of SI Monster Dogs on the way that will be going for the same treatment... Until I have Lasik I am not sure I would go another direction.

Straight Jacket is still in production, I believe. Will link it below. I'm not sure about the Valve, but there are loads of them on eBay. Last time I was at an O-store, they had an SJ to try on, but not a Valve.

I think any of them could be used for running/cycling, but you might run into the issue of the lenses fogging up with the full frames. All the ones you're looking at have rubber earsocks and nosebombs so they should stay in place. When I go running, I wear a Flak 1.0 or 2.0 since they are more sports oriented. Its easier for me tho since I also wear contacts mainly and don't have the need for them to be Rx.

You should also consider replacement rubber components, which you might need at some point since you will be running/cycling with them. Flak 1.0, Flak 2.0, and SJ rubber kits are readily available, but OEM Valve earsocks seem to be hard to come by. Ended up buying a donor frame on the bay in case I need to replace the socks on my Valve. Hope this helps!!

Oakley Straight Jacket® Standard Issue MATTE BLACK, GRAY | Oakley US Store
Very helpful. I hadn't considered the fogging up. That may just be the tie breaker...

I've been running in my Flak 1.0 for several years and haven't noticed any wear on the rubber. But if I drop another $400 on lenses I'll certainly want to ensure the frame is going to useable for a long time. Thanks again for the help!

Very helpful. I hadn't considered the fogging up. That may just be the tie breaker...

I've been running in my Flak 1.0 for several years and haven't noticed any wear on the rubber. But if I drop another $400 on lenses I'll certainly want to ensure the frame is going to useable for a long time. Thanks again for the help!

@Chris A Hardaway is the man. He should be able to help you out

I have RX lens in all my Oakley's now, a Ti crosshair with Sapphire prizm, Tincan Carbon with Fruby polarized, and Monster Dog with tungsten polarized. I have my Juliets getting tuned by @zwc0442 right now then they are going to the optometrist for lens and a second set of SI Monster Dogs on the way that will be going for the same treatment... Until I have Lasik I am not sure I would go another direction.
I do have clear Rx in my Tincup Carbon frames. They've been great but not well suited for sport.

Even after this next pair, I'll have a long way to go to catch up with you... Has Oakley done all the lenses for you? With so much invested in Rx lenses not sure how you could be considering Lasik!

Sounds like all these guys have helped you out already!

With Oakley lenses in progressive they make a few different styles: standard, golf, cycling, and fishing design too.

So if you want them to be similar to your other Progressives get the standard. Glad to hear you already have regular "clear" or Ophthalmic frames with progressions. Your adaption should just take a few days. Make sure you wear them daily for the first two weeks.

This is a better solution than monovision or multifocal contacts in my opinion! Although multifocal contacts can work well since you have no/mild Astigmatism according to your Rx.

Anyway, your lenses will be thin enough in any Oakley product (polycarbonate)... Valve, straight jacket, and flak jacket are all considered old at this point. But could still be done. Only valve is fully discontinued. Flak Jacket and straight jacket "new" are basically only available in black now.

Have fun! Let your local guys help you. Progressives about something u really should buy online.

Sounds like all these guys have helped you out already!

With Oakley lenses in progressive they make a few different styles: standard, golf, cycling, and fishing design too.

So if you want them to be similar to your other Progressives get the standard. Glad to hear you already have regular "clear" or Ophthalmic frames with progressions. Your adaption should just take a few days. Make sure you wear them daily for the first two weeks.

This is a better solution than monovision or multifocal contacts in my opinion! Although multifocal contacts can work well since you have no/mild Astigmatism according to your Rx.

Anyway, your lenses will be thin enough in any Oakley product (polycarbonate)... Valve, straight jacket, and flak jacket are all considered old at this point. But could still be done. Only valve is fully discontinued. Flak Jacket and straight jacket "new" are basically only available in black now.

Have fun! Let your local guys help you. Progressives about something u really should buy online.
Thanks for weighing in as well Chris. Yes, I don't have any reason to hesitate now after everyone's quick responses.

I'll leading with just adding the Rx lenses to my Flaks but will try to keep a somewhat open mind when heading into the Oakley store. Might be open to an upgrade to Flak 2.0 for longevity's sake assuming the fit is similar to my 1.0s.

Back