• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

- Pistols: Striker- vs. Hammer-Fire ...

Zeke

- The Retarded Battle Continues ...
I just picked up this Taurus 740 SLIM .40, ...

It is the first striker-fire I have owned or shot, & I hate it with a passion! I think part of it has to do with how it works in conjunction with the trigger, & how I am so very used to my DA/SA carry, & its action.

The God-awful amount of force needed to break the wall on this Taurus is insane, & there is obviously nothing visual to offer the smallest of hints as to how much pressure is built up on the internal spring ... eh, those in the know, know what I mean.

Fits nice in my hand & all, pretty accurate ... practicality stole it for the price ... seller needed the money bad, & the FFL I deal with now down here called me first ... so, yeah, I bought it without firing it first, but I can easily near double my money on it after a quick cleaning, & with the couple extras it came with.

Anyone here carry or prefer strikers? Anyone actually fired one of these, maybe even a Taurus like this?

Any experiences would be interesting as I know I am going to get rid of this one, but I do not know if it is the striker deal I do not like, or maybe it is how Taurus "does" it that is sh!tty in my opinion ... my admittedly first striker-fire opinion.

20150910_184710.jpg
20150910_185041.jpg

I have striker and hammer pistols. Sig P320 and Glock19 for strikers. I like them.

The best part is the constant trigger pull and dependable reset. I really like modified DAO designs in hammer guns, like Sig's DAK and HK's LEM. DA/SA is a firing type I'd like to move away from on defensive and competition pistols.

As to yours... well, you bought a Taurus. Some people have them and love them, some bought it and regard it as a mistake. I decided it was a brand I wouldn't gamble on.

I actually like the striker fire,personally..I own this exact gun,as well as 6 others(glock and OSS DS being the favs).It took a few (hundred)rounds but I got use to it and actually like it..the only real problem I have is finding mags for it:headbang:

Striker all the way. Ive always carried striker. Never carried a hammer. Love the way they fire. Current carry is the VP9. Just keep shooting it.

I just picked up this Taurus 740 SLIM .40, ...

It is the first striker-fire I have owned or shot, & I hate it with a passion! I think part of it has to do with how it works in conjunction with the trigger, & how I am so very used to my DA/SA carry, & its action.

The God-awful amount of force needed to break the wall on this Taurus is insane, & there is obviously nothing visual to offer the smallest of hints as to how much pressure is built up on the internal spring ... eh, those in the know, know what I mean.

Fits nice in my hand & all, pretty accurate ... practicality stole it for the price ... seller needed the money bad, & the FFL I deal with now down here called me first ... so, yeah, I bought it without firing it first, but I can easily near double my money on it after a quick cleaning, & with the couple extras it came with.

Anyone here carry or prefer strikers? Anyone actually fired one of these, maybe even a Taurus like this?

Any experiences would be interesting as I know I am going to get rid of this one, but I do not know if it is the striker deal I do not like, or maybe it is how Taurus "does" it that is sh!tty in my opinion ... my admittedly first striker-fire opinion.

View attachment 182005View attachment 182004
This may have nothing to do with the thread ... But I'd avoid peeking at the hammer while shooting in order to find out if you've by the 'wall' or not ...

You'll find your bullets low and maybe the side because of anticipation ...

On topic: I've used both styles of guns ( G17 DA/SA and a P2000 V5 DAO) and so have 500 of my 'friends'.

The consensus is that while they're easier to shoot than a Ruger Magnum ...The Glock has produced better results over the years because the external hammer messes with people's instincts ...

Further useless comparisons:
The Glock action was near jam proof
The HK was was more comfortable, adjustable and ambidextrous and less potentially dangerous because you don't need to press the trigger to remove the slide.

My 0.02 for a non gun nut Canuck :p

@Rustpot

It was an impulse purchase, but also something that was chump change, per se ... I know I am not going to keep it ... I actually knew I was not going to keep it even if I loved it. I am a buying new for myself kind of guy, & if I had liked it, I would have just bought a new one, ... but anyway ...

... & it is funny you bring up H&K's LEM, like their P2000SK's ... almost like you could see what you cannot see. ;^)

This may have nothing to do with the thread ... But I'd avoid peeking at the hammer while shooting in order to find out if you've by the 'wall' or not ...

You'll find your bullets low and maybe the side because of anticipation ...

On topic: I've used both styles of guns ( G17 DA/SA and a P2000 V5 DAO) and so have 500 of my 'friends'.

The consensus is that while they're easier to shoot than a Ruger Magnum ...The Glock has produced better results over the years because the external hammer messes with people's instincts ...

Further useless comparisons:
The Glock action was near jam proof
The HK was was more comfortable, adjustable and ambidextrous and less potentially dangerous because you don't need to press the trigger to remove the slide.

My 0.02 for a non gun nut Canuck :p

As I was jokingly hinting to @Rustpot , my carry is a HK P2000SK V3 DA/SA 9mm ... I am a lefty, so the magazine & slide releases are nice for me ...

Really thinking about trading it in for a LEM .40.

As I was jokingly hinting to @Rustpot , my carry is a HK P2000SK V3 DA/SA 9mm ... I am a lefty, so the magazine & slide releases are nice for me ...

Really thinking about trading it in for a LEM .40.
Also being a lefty, I found the HK a hell of a lot easier to use over older (G3?) Glock17 I used to use... Ergonomics wise and ease of use and even safety wise...

Last edited:
Back