• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

Today I lost the first love of my life. My Mom passed away in the early morning hours in her home where she belonged. Resting comfortably, her tiny head on the pillow, wearing a white gown with a red heart on it, her little heart beat for the very last time. Though I wasn’t there to see it I imagine it as a beautiful moment.

The time was 3:08 in the morning. As my phone began ringing I exclaimed, “Oh my God, it’s my Mom. She’s gone” even before answering the call. I knew it was coming. Just 48 hours prior I made the decision to take her back home so she could transition to her next life from a familiar place. It was one of the best decisions in my life.

We are all servants to a higher power. Our work may be a half day or a full shift but when it’s time to go home we all punch out. Mom’s work was done. It was time for her to go to her home. The one where she will be for eternity.

Mom’s pain and suffering is over while ours just begins. Perhaps another way to look at it is we also have the opportunity to celebrate. After all Mom just won the biggest battle of her life. She beat death!

When my Father passed I wasn’t there. Dad lived in NV and I got “the call” There were a lot of moments that still haunt me as I had many regrets over his passing. Why didn’t I call him more often? Why didn’t I get him a better gift at the holidays? Why didn’t I spend more time with him? Why didn’t I tell him how much he meant to me, how much he taught me, how much I respected him or how I wished I could be half the man he was!

Having learned so much coping with my Father’s loss I had a different experience with my Mom. I called her even if it was just for a few minutes. It isn’t the quantity but the quality of the time you spend.

I asked myself why did I paint and fix the whole place when she won’t be there to enjoy it? The gift I gave her in doing so was to prepare her retirement from this earth. All the hours until 3 and 4 am were worth it. My cousin told me she boasted about how meticulously I worked and how much she loved the colors.

I gave my Mom a wonderful gift by bringing her home. A home I crafted just for her. A castle where all her things were about her right down to the lamp my Father gave her almost 50 years ago. One of the movers had broken a piece of it during a previous move. I fixed it perfectly and it made her smile. That smile cost nothing but was worth everything!

I spent time talking with Mom the last two days while she was still with us. Though she never said but a few words that anyone else would hear I heard her in a language only I could understand.

Last night before I said goodnight I told her this. “When the time comes Jesus will be there. Do not be afraid. Go with Him. Everyone will be there waiting for you. It’s OK. It’s beautiful. Wait for me and my wife. One day we will join you and we will be reunited.“ I kissed her on her forehead and said goodnight, till I see you again! In my heart I felt like I gave her permission to go. Hours later she let go of the ties that held her from breaking free of this life in favor of eternal life!

Today I lost my Mom! Today my Mom WON!!!

View attachment 1102107
Very sorry for your loss sir. My deepest condolences and will be praying for her and your family.

So sorry for your loss brother.

I hope you and the family find some peace in knowing that one day you will see her again.

🙏🙏🙏

Today I lost the first love of my life. My Mom passed away in the early morning hours in her home where she belonged. Resting comfortably, her tiny head on the pillow, wearing a white gown with a red heart on it, her little heart beat for the very last time. Though I wasn’t there to see it I imagine it as a beautiful moment.

The time was 3:08 in the morning. As my phone began ringing I exclaimed, “Oh my God, it’s my Mom. She’s gone” even before answering the call. I knew it was coming. Just 48 hours prior I made the decision to take her back home so she could transition to her next life from a familiar place. It was one of the best decisions in my life.

We are all servants to a higher power. Our work may be a half day or a full shift but when it’s time to go home we all punch out. Mom’s work was done. It was time for her to go to her home. The one where she will be for eternity.

Mom’s pain and suffering is over while ours just begins. Perhaps another way to look at it is we also have the opportunity to celebrate. After all Mom just won the biggest battle of her life. She beat death!

When my Father passed I wasn’t there. Dad lived in NV and I got “the call” There were a lot of moments that still haunt me as I had many regrets over his passing. Why didn’t I call him more often? Why didn’t I get him a better gift at the holidays? Why didn’t I spend more time with him? Why didn’t I tell him how much he meant to me, how much he taught me, how much I respected him or how I wished I could be half the man he was!

Having learned so much coping with my Father’s loss I had a different experience with my Mom. I called her even if it was just for a few minutes. It isn’t the quantity but the quality of the time you spend.

I asked myself why did I paint and fix the whole place when she won’t be there to enjoy it? The gift I gave her in doing so was to prepare her retirement from this earth. All the hours until 3 and 4 am were worth it. My cousin told me she boasted about how meticulously I worked and how much she loved the colors.

I gave my Mom a wonderful gift by bringing her home. A home I crafted just for her. A castle where all her things were about her right down to the lamp my Father gave her almost 50 years ago. One of the movers had broken a piece of it during a previous move. I fixed it perfectly and it made her smile. That smile cost nothing but was worth everything!

I spent time talking with Mom the last two days while she was still with us. Though she never said but a few words that anyone else would hear I heard her in a language only I could understand.

Last night before I said goodnight I told her this. “When the time comes Jesus will be there. Do not be afraid. Go with Him. Everyone will be there waiting for you. It’s OK. It’s beautiful. Wait for me and my wife. One day we will join you and we will be reunited.“ I kissed her on her forehead and said goodnight, till I see you again! In my heart I felt like I gave her permission to go. Hours later she let go of the ties that held her from breaking free of this life in favor of eternal life!

Today I lost my Mom! Today my Mom WON!!!

View attachment 1102107

Today I had my last radiation treatment. No balloons fell from the ceiling. No clinking of glasses. No hugs or pats on the back. I got a paper diploma with my name on it but the only thing that really mattered was knowing I don’t have to go back. Ten treatments in total spread out over almost three weeks. It was the longest three weeks in recent memory.

I made it through about eight of them with only minimal discomfort. That changed dramatically last night. Not long after eating dinner I began feeling ill. As my wife made her way to the supermarket I lay, shivering in the bed, sick to my stomach as my intestines did somersaults. The burning from using the bathroom was intense and I prayed the Lord would help me through one more day.

The doctor said I should start feeling relief in my back as the tumors were stabilized. I had to balance that against the feeling I had in my groin. I wanted to feel better but at that moment all I could think of was the bamboo skewer I imagined was lodged in my urethra. . No…radiation was not easy.

Just 24 hours before I was telling myself, I can do this! It’s not that bad. My wife brought the space heater into our bedroom and pointed it at the bed. She knew how much the cold makes me feel uncomfortable lately. She would fix me special foods and make sure I was always comfortable. I realized how much I didn’t deserve her.

She promised me everything would be better and I was going to be ok. She told me how much she loved me. I felt so bad for her as my life has impacted her this much. It’s one thing to go through chemo and radiation but I can’t imagine what it’s like to watch your spouse endure it. I’m not the only one hurting.

I can’t say God gave me cancer. I don’t know if that’s true. What I do know is He gave me family, friends, Oakley brothers and sisters who care and who have made the road a bit easier. He gave me my wife. He knows if I must battle this disease I need a shield. My wife is that shield.

I love you Honey!

why in the world does the radiation cause pain in the urethra? if you don't mind me asking.

and i am of course sending best wishes to you and your family! ❤️🙏❤️

Back