• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished Juliet- How To Polish?

Haga

Oakley Beginner
Hi!

i have a polished Juliet.
It's almost ten years old now, so the frame got kinda matte.
I tried to polish it with premium car polish pastes, but none of them worked.
(i even tried with professional polish pad, that is used to polish stainless stell railings. No help, frame gets matte)
Is it possible to get a full mirror-like polsihed frame again?

Thanks!

I think you probably have to bring it down to a jeweller to polish it back up kinda like how they polish watch cases and bracelets. But definately can be done as recently I sent a polished romeo 1 on ebay and they do not come in that frame option.

Not sure if the frame is coated though. Might polish too much off exposing the bare metal underneath.

Disclaimer: I never tried this before and might be better for you to wait for some of the experts to chime in before you try this :)

Get a Dremel tool and some of the felt polishing wheels. I use Blue Magic metal polish. The polished Juliet are not coated and is the bare titanium. Use some caution on the nose bridge to not get it to hot, it may damage the rubber.
I striped and polished a plasma Juliet and have tuned up a few polished this way. Good luck, any ?'s PM me, I would be glad to assist.

PolishedJuliets.jpg
PolishedJulietDetail.jpg

Get a Dremel tool and some of the felt polishing wheels. I use Blue Magic metal polish. The polished Juliet are not coated and is the bare titanium. Use some caution on the nose bridge to not get it to hot, it may damage the rubber.
I striped and polished a plasma Juliet and have tuned up a few polished this way. Good luck, any ?'s PM me, I would be glad to assist.

PolishedJuliets.jpg
PolishedJulietDetail.jpg

That is some good looking work!! Heck how much would you charge me to polish out one of my Plasma Juliet Frames? You did a awesome job!

The fear factor of me screwing it up is to great to do it for someone else. Removing the plasma is a chore. Plus I have so many ongoing projects that if I don't get them done before I start more my wife will initiate an intervention. The pair above came out perfect to satisfy my OCD. The 2nd pair I did, originally a polished, just had to many tiny pits from the casting, looked ok but sent them out to the X Man for a matte black finish. This is them now.
IH1_zps1101bbb0.jpg

Thanks!
I already have a Dremel. Tried it with no success.
It seems that the frame started to create tiny holes/ pits and darken instead of achieve a mirror-like surface like all other metals used to do.
What am I doing wrong?

This is how it looks...

post-5-1246402540.jpg

Your not doing anything wrong, sometimes from the casting of Ti it leaves tiny air bubbles which are the pits you are seeing. The darkening you see is just deposits of the polished material in the pits. A good cleaning should clear it out but the pit will still be there. I use my wife's ultrasonic cleaner. Most of the other finishes, carbon, plasma etc cover these pits up and are not noticeable. About the only thing you can do is take enough material off to get to the bottom of the pit. If they are to deep it may not be worth it or just live with it. If you do, try 400 grit then go to finer paper to 1500 then finish with the Dremel. The X Metal Ti is super hard so to be afraid to work it. Its the hardest metal I have ever polished.

Would the ultrasonic cleaner hurt a serial # at all? I think the wife may have one and I'd could clean my Polished frames up a bit.

It will not hurt the serial. At least it didn't hurt mine. Its hard to tell anything from the pics, a bit underexposed and almost looks carbon. Like the watch!