• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Post Pics Of Your Guns And Glasses

Tom, you made some good points here, except for your last. I'm not quite sure that's an actual statistic, but if you get yourself a handgun and you stick it in your waistband and think you're covered then I have no sympathy for you when you indeed "shoot your own d!ck off". I always will do whatever I can to stack the odds in my favor, in any situation or event. When this is applied to carrying a weapon it includes intimate familiarity with the weapon and what it can and can't do, training, practice, studying what has / will happen if you actually have to use it to protect you and yours, training and practice, constant monitoring of federal and state laws regarding use and carry, and finally more training and practice. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, but the "American Cowboy" sh!t doesn't hold water with me. There is room for exactly zero avengers out in the real world. Preparation and avoidance are the keys.
I've been concealed carrying for many years, and I have always wanted to be able to have the upper hand should a bad situation arrive that puts my family in danger. That does come with a lot of responsibility though. Just owning and carrying a gun is not enough. Just as you said, following the constantly changing laws is paramount to being a responsible gun owner. I have spoken with people that had to defend their family, and it is a life-changing experience. Nowadays, you have to worry about the perpetrator or their family suing you for some dumb **** and protecting your family. I at least know that if my family is in danger, I have the tools and training needed to protect them should a bad situation arise. I haven't posted any of my guns lately in this thread. I'll get right to that.....

I've been concealed carrying for many years, and I have always wanted to be able to have the upper hand should a bad situation arrive that puts my family in danger. That does come with a lot of responsibility though. Just owning and carrying a gun is not enough. Just as you said, following the constantly changing laws is paramount to being a responsible gun owner. I have spoken with people that had to defend their family, and it is a life-changing experience. Nowadays, you have to worry about the perpetrator or their family suing you for some dumb **** and protecting your family. I at least know that if my family is in danger, I have the tools and training needed to protect them should a bad situation arise. I haven't posted any of my guns lately in this thread. I'll get right to that.....

You nailed it GH. Here's my personal philosophy...I'm in a 7-11 getting 2% milk from the back cooler for my wife at 9 pm, and some cornhole comes in with a gun and sticks the place up, my ass is church-mouse quiet in the back of the store. I don't give half a rats-ass what he does or takes or who he threatens. Not my issue or my concern. He'll never know I have a gun unless he frisks me. Break in my home where my family lives and we have a problem. If I am out and about and my family is in absolute and undeniable danger then everybody dies and I'll wait for the cops and go quietly. If there's an escape route, whether it be a sidewalk across the street or a back door, I'm taking it with my gun holstered. Preparation and avoidance.

While the photos in these threads give my small man boners...

The discussion parts give me sad sack ...

I'm going to agree with @cyclerdoug and say the best opportunity to stay safe/alive is the general avoidance/tactical withdrawal/defensive posture...

While I'm not exactly versed on the statistics... If I remember something I read, it was there were enough guns available in the US to supply every man, woman and child and still have enough for the Military ...

What that means is that there are WAY too many guns out there available to pretty much anyone ... So the risk of UNTRAINED (yet not criminalized) people using guns to 'defend' themselves or 'subdue' a robber (or any other reason they feel they need to use a gun) is potentially really high making the risk of accidents even HIGHER!

It sucks y'all need firearms to feel safe... I've never get unsafe in my life living the 2 (or third) most populated city in Canada ( America's Hat! ;) )

I've worked LE for 12 years and I can count on my d!ck how many times there was a call and there was with an actual firearms involved... I could chalk that up to strict laws/control I guess...

But if you HAVE to have it on you, do it SAFELY and as a last resort!

I've worked LE for 12 years and I can count on my d!ck how many times there was a call and there was with an actual firearms involved... I could chalk that up to strict laws/control I guess...
Definitely...

I worked as a LEO for 3.5 years and I can tell you I probably went to more calls in the first 5 months involving weapons than you have in your 12 years lol...

Different culture down here man...

I'm even training my son to get after it too...

He was 8 years old in this picture - loading his own rounds :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Back