• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Preparing An Oakley Array For Hawaii

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I'm heading out on Monday for a week on The Big Island. I honestly have no idea what to expect, I haven't done a lick of research to prepare. We're going for a wedding on Thursday, and everything before and after is kind of up in the air.

I have no idea how I'm getting from the airport to wherever I'd be going next. It should be interesting.

I understand things are generally more expensive, and there's a 10pm curfew. Anything I should bring? It was suggested I bring a few bottles of booze to help keep costs down, I'm not sure of that.

ANYWAY, to the point of the thread. I surmise there will be a bit of sun. As it is winter I only have memories of this "sun" and I recall needing colored lenses to cover my eyes to make things more pleasant. I have some of those, it turns out.

It'll be a 7 day journey. I have my larger cases that can hold 6 and 9, but I don't think I want to take one of those, with the slight fear of my bag being broken into if someone sees the collection in a case or something. I have 4 cases for glasses, and several more for M Frames/Radars, so I think I can still manage the 7, so long as 3 are M. I'm not too shaken by that math, as one could imagine.

So what types of pairs should I focus on? A whole smattering of polarized pairs? Polarized, dark, and maybe a light contrast?

I have Tens (x3 polar), Crosshair (x2 polar) (pretty sure one of these will be the pair to wear to the wedding), Hijinx, Romeo, Pitboss II (polar), Mars, Radarlock, Holbrook...

I'm thinking

M Frame - Chop brushed aluminum w/ black polarized
Pro M Frame - Chop splatter w/ ice (downside being the size of the case)
M Frame - ??

Crosshair - Titanium w/ tungsten polarized
Ten - black ink w/ OO Red polarized - beater pair should anything "dangerous" occur
Ten - brown smoke w/ tungsten polarized
??

Torn between the PBII or the Romeo, a little nervous traveling with the high dollar pairs.

Not sure about the glasses to wear but Hawaii is cool. If you go the store and get anything that can be recycled there is an upcharge but can get the money back when you bring empty back to store. We took a helicopter ride which was expensive but worth the money. Also did a submarine ride in Maui on the Atlantis. Military pretty big there so alot of people riding bikes and jogging. Also try to make it to Pearl Harbor. It will make you cry.

M frame w BIP ( non pro ) for all around bright days...
Crosshairs are classy and tungsten pol is quite all right...

Personally a big 'No' on big ticket pairs ... Luggage can get lost, stuff stolen ...etc ...maybe your M frame has removable lenses as to bring Fire Iridium or an extra G30?

bring one pair of BI, leave room in your luggage for o-store visits. Some of my hawaii vacations have netted 13 pairs. I just cant help myself in Hawaii

When I travel I pack my sunglasses in my back pack and if I go on a plane the bag goes under the seat in front of me. And I agree go to Pearl Harbor
I won't be going to Oahu, as much as I'd like to. I'm not going as long as most people, and they have it planned for the week after I leave when they start island-hopping.

I won't be going to Oahu, as much as I'd like to. I'm not going as long as most people, and they have it planned for the week after I leave when they start island-hopping.

gotcha i get confused on what island is which and what is on each island

Back