• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Quality Pens

Yeah that's old-school, with the lever to refill from a well...

I also used fountain pens for a little while, regular and calligraphy, in elementary school, and they also had disposable cartridges. Even harder to use left-handed, since you write more by pushing the tip than dragging it...

I'm sure I don't have any pics on my phone but actually have a nice wood lathe for making pens, ornaments, bowls, ect. It's nice to be able to shape and weight a pen to feel perfect in the hand, plus I will go ahead and say it, I think they look damn fine as well.....

I'm sure I don't have any pics on my phone but actually have a nice wood lathe for making pens, ornaments, bowls, ect. It's nice to be able to shape and weight a pen to feel perfect in the hand, plus I will go ahead and say it, I think they look damn fine as well.....

I recently thought it would be fun to learn how to turn my own wooden pens on a lathe. Actually it was even simpler, I wanted to make a stylus because I don't care for the feel of the one I have now, and high quality replacement tips can be purchased separately. I started by researching some affordable micro-lathes, but then thought it would be nice to have the capability to turn larger plates and bowls in the future, maybe 12-16" diameter. Then I thought it would be nice to have a variable speed drive to prevent belt changes, and how about throw in a digital RPM readout too. The more research I do, the more expensive it gets haha. And that's not even mentioning all the different chucks / jaws / gouges / etc. Decided to just take a step back for the moment and re-think things.

Anyway, here is my contribution of a quality pen. This is the Alpha Pen made by Jason at Prometheus Writes (aka Prometheus Lights, aka DarkSucks). One is titanium, the other is electroless nickel plated aluminum. They use the Mont Blanc Fineliner or Rollerball refills. I picked these up from his Kickstarter campaign, but since then the price has gone up quite a bit. (I later sold both to fund Oakleys...)

IMG_5119.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

@kronin323

Last edited:
I recently thought it would be fun to learn how to turn my own wooden pens on a lathe. Actually it was even simpler, I wanted to make a stylus because I don't care for the feel of the one I have now, and high quality replacement tips can be purchased separately. I started by researching some affordable micro-lathes, but then thought it would be nice to have the capability to turn larger plates and bowls in the future, maybe 12-16" diameter. Then I thought it would be nice to have a variable speed drive to prevent belt changes, and how about throw in a digital RPM readout too. The more research I do, the more expensive it gets haha. Decided to just take a step back for the moment and re-think things.

Anyway, here is my contribution of a quality pen. This is the Alpha Pen made by Jason at Prometheus Writes (aka Prometheus Lights, aka DarkSucks). One is titanium, the other is electroless nickel plated aluminum. They use the Mont Blanc Fineliner or Rollerball refills. I picked these up from his Kickstarter campaign, but since then the price has gone up quite a bit. (I later sold both to fund Oakleys...)

View attachment 254780

View attachment 254781

View attachment 254782

@kronin323

I'm still thinking about getting one of these at some point.

You prefer the fineliner over the rollerball? Did you try the rollerball refill?

I'm still thinking about getting one of these at some point.

You prefer the fineliner over the rollerball? Did you try the rollerball refill?

I only tried the Fineliner, which IMO was nice and smooth to write with, but a bit too broad for my style of day-to-day writing. I tend to write small to begin with, and I often need to write out equations with superscripts / subscripts (even smaller). The broad tip of the Fineliner really limited how often used these pens... basically just kept them for special occasions / meetings / signatures.