• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Questions about contact lenses and seawater

ShadedChimera

Oakley Beginner
I'm going on a trip to the seaside in a few days, and I have a couple of questions relevant to it and Oakleys.

I will be bringing my Photochromic Radarlocks and Oakley Zeros to the trip because my SO doesn't have a pair of sunglasses of her own. None of my Oakleys have any kind of perscription on them. However, she wears contact lenses because she doesn't have great vision. Will she run into any issues when she wears either pair while wearing contacts?

Also, what kind of care should I give if we wade into seawater? Or should I avoid seawater altogether?

If I understand your questions correctly...

Wearing non-prescription Oakleys over contact lenses? No problem.

Oakleys in seawater? There are some who won't expose them, and others who'll tell stories of the AR layer peeling, but in truth people do it all the time with no problems. Just wash them well with clean water and maybe some mild soap afterwards. @Wavecloud

Contact lenses in seawater? Ask your eyecare professional...

I wear contacts. my eye doctor told me not to wear them when swimming, or wear goggles over them. the chlorine from the pool will dry out the lenses. and both the chlorine and the salt water will sting if you get enough stuck between your contacts and your eyes.

but I wear my contacts while swimming anyways :D

I don't swim distances, mostly just hang out in the water with the kids so I rarely get my face under water. in times where I want to swim a bit, I just close my eyes while swimming so water won't go in. if water does go in (splashes, or if I didn't close my eyes). they do sting a bit, but go away after a while. I wear disposable contacts as well. so usually I just take them off at the end of the day and switch to glasses if they sting too much

Same here, I wear my contacts in the pool. I usually regret it later as they do get irrated and dry. I usually take them out and clean them and let them soak or throw them away and get a new pair.

I've got some prescription Oakley Chamfer II's on the way with transition lenses, so I'm hoping to try those from now on at the pool/beach. First pair of transition glasses, so we'll see how they do.

Yeah, I didn't really word my OP properly. These are supposed to be two separate questions:

1. Can someone who wears contacts wear regular Oakleys without issues?

2. If I go into seawater while wearing Oakleys, how should I take care of them?

Yeah, I didn't really word my OP properly. These are supposed to be two separate questions:

1. Can someone who wears contacts wear regular Oakleys without issues?

2. If I go into seawater while wearing Oakleys, how should I take care of them?

1-Yes

2-rinse thoroughly but why go into seawater with them? So many horror stories of "OH **** A WAVE!!!! Wait. My OAKLEYS ARE GONE!!!"

Yes - I used my Heritage Eyeshades for days surfing in Morocco a few weeks ago and just got back from a sea expedition in Scotland.

Been using Oakleys on the sea since I was in my teens and I'm forty something now :)

All gear needs rinsing as @kronin323 says.

If u decide to wear your oakleys in ocean, as mentioned already, be sure to rinse thoroughly. If u let the salt water dry, do not clean them until you have rinsed! The dried salt will scratch your lenses!
Lessons learned first hand.
Also it wouldn't hurt to equip some kind of sunglass leash as well. One good wave and theyre gone.

Back