• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Real Or Fake Display Bobs And Grenades- Does It Matter?

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Curious what the sentiment is with respect to some items. There are recast Bob heads, Shadow Bobs and have seen other threads discussing fake sales award/ grenade bombs.

I see the interest in the grenade as a display piece but in reality its a sales award that someone else earned and you can't use it to display glasses. So I wouldn't care if I had one that was a recast if it was done right. There is no way that I would pay thousands of dollars for one. But $150 -ish for a repop one? Maybe. Would you care if your sales award was a fake one or would you just appreciate the piece for what it is?

More to the point, for a Shadow Bob or Bob, to me it's more of a merchandising piece for glasses like a stand. As long as the quality was there- nice finish and nice detail- I wouldn't care if I had a copy. It's a stand that I display eyewear on. I think a reasonable price for replica Bobs of about $150-ish would be acceptable.

I'm not going into manufacturing or anything!!!

I'm pretty sure that my Bob is a replica and I'm OK with that. I'm curious though how others feel? If a recast merchandising piece were priced reasonably and represented as a replica would you care? If you didn't have a Shadow Bob, Bob or Grenade award and you could purchase one for $150-ish would you?

I think the issue is more to the point of marketing it as genuine and real and overcharging for a replica

If they were priced for what they are? I'd be more likely to buy them.

Fakes are terrible, we get that. I'd rather they not exist. My want for one is not that exceedingly high that I'd shell out a ton of cash. But if someone is recasting them and selling them as copies for a low price? Yeah, I might be game.

I think some of the prices for Oakley stuff is borderline insane. Especially for things like stands and display items that cost pennies to make and the original owners (outside of Oakley) more often than not get for free.

I traded a bob head from a guy who was representing it as authentic. I am 99% sure it is a replica. It even still had a fresh paint smell to it. I won't divulge his name since I am not 100% sure. I did trade an item that I valued at 150.00 and am ok with the trade even if it was a replica. My only issue is that he represented it as authentic. Had he said it was a copy I would of still made the trade just would of felt better about it afterwards

I would not be interested. While it is only a display piece. I feel that a fake oakley item is not worth being put into a collection.
Fair enough, but I'm sure that Oakley did not make the originals either.
I traded a bob head from a guy who was representing it as authentic. I am 99% sure it is a replica. It even still had a fresh paint smell to it. I won't divulge his name since I am not 100% sure.
Yours and mine probably came from the same guy.

Latest Posts

Back