• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ripped Off On EBAY

oakleyman2424

Oakley Expert
Myrtle Beach
So last week I found an auction on EBAY for a set of NEW lenses (black iridium) for the Original Straight Jacket. Since I own several gen 1 straight jackets, I decided to buy them, if the price wasn't crazy, to have as spares. The auction only shows the original Oakley replacement lens box from that era, with the straight jacket picture on the front, but no pictures of the lenses themselves. I didn't even think of asking for a picture of the lenses. Stupid of me, I now know.

So I win the auction for $45 shipped. Receive the package, and when I pull out the first lens its obvioulsy used, but still in decent shape, so I'm not worried. Until the second lens comes out. It is completely destroyed. The center of the lens is scratched/scuffed/scraped. The damage is about the size of a nickel. Completely worthless and un-usable.

I send an email to the seller describing the situation, and the fact that I'm totally unhappy. The listing specifically said NEW in 2 places. This is the (predictable) response that I received:

"Wow really are u that hard up to get things for free I sell nothing ever like that! Have fun enjoy ! I will pray for you . Obviously you are talking about your lens put them in my box and keeping the new ones I sent

Bad seeds such as yourself should not be aloud on eBay but you go ahead not the first time you have worked the system to get something for free

God bless u"

So now the fate of my $45 rests in the hands of EBAY's buyer protection program. They sent me a return shipping label, but I don't know if they will refund my money or not. I did learn an important lesson about requesting pictures of the actual item I'm buying.

OAKLEY STRAIGHT JACKET LENS REPLACEMENT KIT - NEW | eBay here's the auction

PayPal will refund ur money once the seller recieves the package. U just have to call them and give them the tracking number

If you paid by Paypal and the item is not as described, you should be able to get a refund. Best of luck and let us know how you get on! :)

just because they send you pics, doesnt mean youre gonna get the same item as int he pics. Hope you get your money back and leave him a negative review!

I have had that happen a couple times...i have curtailed spending but when I was buying -stuck with the same people...like there is one person with Flak lenses and he is great Lenses always new...sorry this happened...some people have no conscience...even the brand new stuff I have sold on here if someone was unhappy i would PP them the $ to send back priority within a day or so and then refund even if the stuff is BNIB. This guy probably has street kiosks with 19.99 Foakleys too...God Bless indeed! Good Luck with it all...

To echo the above you will certainly get your money back as long as you paid through paypal. Sellers have basically no rights on E Bay these days. Buyers have all the power. Sucks to hear you have to go through this dog and pony show but It'll happen from time to time on E Bay.

I just sold some damaged lenses on eBay from my Over The Top, however in the description I clearly wrote they were damaged and even had a picture so I'm hoping someone doesn't try to do this to me.

But I'm sorry to hear about your issue.

eBay is a catch 22, even though you as a buyer is honest doesn't mean that everyone out there is honest. It kind of sucks for us sellers who are very honest, we get buyers who claim they did not get what they paid for and without hesitation, freakin eBay will take your money and usually side,with the buyer. There's more protection out there for buyers than there is the sellers.

I sold a dslr camera on eBay and the Guy trashed it when he received it and told PayPal I sold it to him that way. PayPal then overdrafted my account to refund the sob! Even after I called and explained it to them. So I ended up with a busted camera and a negative $300 balance on my account

Back