• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rust Decay Fuel Cell And Breadbox Pricing

Did you guys catch this on the Oakley product page?

These comfortably lightweight O Matter® frames carry a metallic anodized finish.

They're anodizing polycarbonate now... (!!?) ...is that even possible? Or are we seeing marketing-speak?

These comfortably lightweight O Matter® frames carry a metallic anodized finish.

They're anodizing polycarbonate now... (!!?) ...is that even possible? Or are we seeing marketing-speak?
Like a rusty fmj?

Yes it's very possible, though not cost effective in small scale obviously. You can easily bind metals to plastics, just look at the auto industry and how they put real chrome on plastic pieces.

So, in my disappointment in the crazy pricing for the fallout fuels, I decided to make my own rust edition. I spent 10 hours yesterday to get to where I am at now and still have a good bit of detail work left. Let me know what you all think? I am going to matte clear with soft touch to finish. Pictures really don't do the texturing justice. It has taken a few tries to get the finish just right from prep to airbrush. I will upload more complete photos today.

20140526_014027.jpg

20140526_014017.jpg

20140525_214600.jpg

I do all the aging before clearing. The frames are prepped to look aged and it looks so much better in person. The clear is just to seal. I scuff throughout the airbrush process to blend the color and look. I'll try to upload a couple pictures a little closer so you can see the frame and how it's not just a paint, the frames are aged.