• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Should We Allow Ebay Links?

Should we allow ebay links?

• Allow ebay links for discussions and exchanges

Votes: 95 84.1%
  • Allow only your own ebay links for exchanges

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
We currently do not allow ebay links, unless they are your own for an exchange. However many members post item numbers for discussions about a product, which is no different than posting the link to an auction.

The reasoning behind the current rule, is that if you post an ebay link to discuss a product, you may be taking what would have been a steal for one member and making it public to the rest.

So I have created a poll here and want to see what the community wants.

The Poll will be up for the next 24 hours, to decide on the rule.

The options are pretty self explanatory:

• The first option will allow members to post their own ebay links in the exchange sections and discuss any ebay products with links in the discussion section(i.e "is this fake" etc.)
  • The second option will allow you to post ebay links/item numbers only if it is your own item and only in the exchange section. You will no longer be able to post ANY ebay links/item numbers in any sections besides the exchange areas.

We will not get rid of Ebay completely since it is a safe/secure way for members to conduct exchanges.

there really is no difference between posting the link and an item number other than ones a annoying to follow. I say let the links be allowed.

From what I've seen, the majority of members here watch the same auctions already so not being able to post the links seems rather a moot point.

The most that not allowing link posting can do is for BIN auctions but great BIN deals are usually snapped up on the spot anyways. Being able to post links may actually help our members more so than not in terms of alerting someone who had that pair on their wish list.

Just seems unnecessary to have the no posting links rule when the majority of members here are eBay savvy as it is.

I'm not going to vote as my opinion on this topic is this:

What's the point of allowing or not allowing? Ebay is a public auction tool. Anyone who is anyone can go and search for items. It's meant to be an open market to allow sellers to sell to the highest bidder.

If i create an ebay sale and post my link in the exchange forum, isn't that just letting everyone know it's up there? Isn't that the same as "taking what would have been a steal for one member and making it public to the rest? As the seller, I would want to get the highest bid, right?

For those that post up the ebay link to ask questions about whether the item is legit or not, isn't that up to the poster? He/she runs the risk of allowing someone else to snag that potential deal/steal. What if I as a fellow OF member wants to give a heads up to everyone here that there is a great steal on ebay and while i can't afford it, i want someone from this forum to get a chance to own it?

And then what about craigslist links? If this ebay link ban goes into effect, what about CL? Isn't that considered the same thing?

I dunno, i may be dumb for even thinking this way, but i think the rule is dumb as it is. If you guys need to educate me on why this is even a legitimate concern, please enlighten me :smile:

Those Steals are already on the internet. You cannot hide them for others, but, i find ebay links pretty annoying, same goes for numbers.
I would say: no links allowed

I vote NO do not allow eBay links. The reason everyone has access to eBay. If you see a steal/deal you should be allowed to post the item by name and amount so others can make a purchase but not including the link. Otherwise there may be abuse of where persons try to use this website for posting all of their eBay items.

On the forum where I'm on staff we have a separate eBay subforum specifically for posting interesting auctions or for sellers to post their listings. It's worked fine for us by keeping it all under a specific area in the forums.

On the forum where I'm on staff we have a separate eBay subforum specifically for posting interesting auctions or for sellers to post their listings. It's worked fine for us by keeping it all under a specific area in the forums.

I would go for this option.

I'd prefer ebay links. as said before there's no difference between a link and an item number. also some users check the forum from their phone so a link would be easier to check items out instead of having to copy and paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back