• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I'm At The Vault Wearing A R1...

Maybe I'm the only one, but when I go into a vault, I expect the same kind of customer service I expect anywhere else.. mediocre (generally) and with a knowledge of the products that they are selling. How is it relevant for an 18 year old kid to know what a pair of Romeo 1's are? They do not sell them, will not ever sell them, and will never make Oakley a dollar knowing what they are. I am a kitchen salesman, however I do not know the history of kitchens, the brands that USED to sell, and the different variances between them because it is unnecessary for me to know these things. In fact, we sell 20 plus brands of cabinetry (figure that is similar to selling 20+ different styles of sunglasses..) and I actually steer customers towards the brands that I am well versed in and know most about because it makes selling easier. It is the same concept in any Oakley vault - we are collectors, we love Oakley for the present, the future and the past - but the people who are hired to work there may not. They may love Oakleys now, they may collect them now, but they may not have any interest in a pair of Mars, Zeros, OTTs or any other vintage frames because they will never make a dollar off of them.
I'm 27, i wear almost exclusively lifestyle o-matter frames - I've learned alot about x-metals from being on this forum, but even I would be hard pressed to identify every single different x-metal by name if someone walked past me wearing them because they simply aren't that relevant to me.

IMHO, you guys should spend more time just enjoying your sunglasses without the validation from Oakley employees who more than likely are just trying to make some money for themselves.

This is the way all stores are it appears. Gives the correct impression to those who are unaware of what is going on around them. (That is alot of people in this world) But there is no security systems in most stores, and they think its stupid too. If someone runs out with them they cannot stop them either. So not sure except to keep a watch, what the point is.

Maybe I'm the only one, but when I go into a vault, I expect the same kind of customer service I expect anywhere else.. mediocre (generally) and with a knowledge of the products that they are selling. How is it relevant for an 18 year old kid to know what a pair of Romeo 1's are? They do not sell them, will not ever sell them, and will never make Oakley a dollar knowing what they are. I am a kitchen salesman, however I do not know the history of kitchens, the brands that USED to sell, and the different variances between them because it is unnecessary for me to know these things. In fact, we sell 20 plus brands of cabinetry (figure that is similar to selling 20+ different styles of sunglasses..) and I actually steer customers towards the brands that I am well versed in and know most about because it makes selling easier. It is the same concept in any Oakley vault - we are collectors, we love Oakley for the present, the future and the past - but the people who are hired to work there may not. They may love Oakleys now, they may collect them now, but they may not have any interest in a pair of Mars, Zeros, OTTs or any other vintage frames because they will never make a dollar off of them.
I'm 27, i wear almost exclusively lifestyle o-matter frames - I've learned alot about x-metals from being on this forum, but even I would be hard pressed to identify every single different x-metal by name if someone walked past me wearing them because they simply aren't that relevant to me.

IMHO, you guys should spend more time just enjoying your sunglasses without the validation from Oakley employees who more than likely are just trying to make some money for themselves.

Ok nobody is bashing them for what they do or don't know, we or atleast I am just laughing at the fact that he didn't know they were Oakley's. Who here is looking for validation from a worker at a store? I just find it amusing that they don't know the product or history of the company they work for... That is like taking a vintage Shelby GT500 to the local Ford dealer and them asking what kind of Chevy that is... Just comical is all.

i dont think its that comical. you think every Ford salesperson knows what a Ford GT is/was and all of the specs on it? Or a Ford Lightning? Probably not because it is irrelevant to their job and their sales. Should he have known they were Oakleys by looking at them? Maybe.. but I think its comical to expect people to know all of the history about Oakley like the people on this forum do simply because they work there. It isn't as if its a career for most of them making $12/hr at the Vault. Alot of people seem to think that if you work for Oakley you should love all that is Oakley and have pride in your knowledge about the company - I would if it was me, but it's far fetched to think that a bunch of kids working 25 hrs a week are going to take much time to learn the history of products they have never seen and will never sell.

I've only visited two vaults one in Gurnee and one in the Mall of America and both places had so many electronic tags on the murchandise I don't think you could get close to the door without and alarm going off. They also had the higher end glasses under lock and key.

I've only visited two vaults one in Gurnee and one in the Mall of America and both places had so many electronic tags on the murchandise I don't think you could get close to the door without and alarm going off. They also had the higher end glasses under lock and key.

same in my local o store. Gray etags.

I hate when your trying on a pair of glasses and they have the electronic tag on the earstem. They dont give you a good feeling of how they will fit.

PS I have never been hovered over in either store. They did ask if I needed assistance but that was it. At one point at the Mall of America the three workers actually left the floor and went in the back and I was standing there by myself.

i dont think its that comical. you think every Ford salesperson knows what a Ford GT is/was and all of the specs on it? Or a Ford Lightning? Probably not because it is irrelevant to their job and their sales. Should he have known they were Oakleys by looking at them? Maybe.. but I think its comical to expect people to know all of the history about Oakley like the people on this forum do simply because they work there. It isn't as if its a career for most of them making $12/hr at the Vault. Alot of people seem to think that if you work for Oakley you should love all that is Oakley and have pride in your knowledge about the company - I would if it was me, but it's far fetched to think that a bunch of kids working 25 hrs a week are going to take much time to learn the history of products they have never seen and will never sell.

You are making way more out of this than it actually is... It isn't like we are chanting outside an O store because they have employee's who don't know the product. We are laughing about it on a public O forum and that is all... I am sorry if you have been offended because I found it funny that the O store employee asked if my R1 was an Oakley product or not :agree:

Back