• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I'm At The Vault Wearing A R1...

im not offended at all, why would i be? i could care less. im just explaining why it makes perfect sense that a current Vault employee wouldn't know an R1 from a hole in the wall. sorry if you're taking it personally, i dont think its really all that harsh.

sooooo...

i wore my R1s today, to the mall. had to find a hawaiian shirt to wear to Jimmy Buffet on Saturday. i decide to stop by the Sunglass Hut to look at some glasses.

i walk in and the clerk says, "nice Romeos!"

in a Sunglass Hut!!! A SUNGLASS HUT!!!!

sooooo...

i wore my R1s today, to the mall. had to find a hawaiian shirt to wear to Jimmy Buffet on Saturday. i decide to stop by the Sunglass Hut to look at some glasses.

i walk in and the clerk says, "nice Romeos!"

in a Sunglass Hut!!! A SUNGLASS HUT!!!!
:lol:

Follow up to what has been posted:
I talked with a few Vault employees about this issue, and mentioned that personally I feel uncomfortable. They said I am a good customer and that is why they do not do that to me specifically. Now, all other customers, they are told daily to hover to prevent theft. That is their number one goal is to try and prevent Theft. At the same time ask to help, IOT appear friendly. If brushed off, remain beside the customer till they leave. I knew I was on track the way they acted, but didn't want to outright accuse them of it. I understand LP, but geez they hover like a bad wart. :eek:

I believe the reason why they no longer bother you is the mere fact that your training and experience in utilizing the Jedi mind trick has paid off !

I've only visited two vaults one in Gurnee and one in the Mall of America and both places had so many electronic tags on the murchandise I don't think you could get close to the door without and alarm going off. They also had the higher end glasses under lock and key.
This is how the o store is in sydney- most o matter is on open shelves and everything else is locked up. almost everything has electronic tags, its the same for any clothing or footwear store.I was surprised visiting the US at how different the shops are managed

I was in a Vault earlier this week and one of the employees who 'helped' me did not know what a Juliet was. I was wearing a pair and they had two more customs in the case, with a 'Juliet' sign next to them! At first he was not even sure the Juliets I was wearing were Oakleys then an another associate came over and commented on them then I heard - "I thought those were Oakleys"... Really?

I was in a Vault earlier this week and one of the employees who 'helped' me did not know what a Juliet was. I was wearing a pair and they had two more customs in the case, with a 'Juliet' sign next to them! At first he was not even sure the Juliets I was wearing were Oakleys then an another associate came over and commented on them then I heard - "I thought those were Oakleys"... Really?

Someone, in a recent post, did put it best. We are typically surprised when an employee doesn't know what they are. We are dealing with College kids, looking the pay bills, and they only look at it like a job. They do not overly really care at the end of the day, just want the paycheck. All that has been said about selling and knowledge is true, but in the end they just don't really care, and just want that quick sale. Not entirely their fault, society has just groomed them this way. They are the "entitled Generation" and unless something affect them, they just don't care. This horse has been beaten to death.

I'm not a fan of flogging a lifeless equine.
I was just amazed that:
a) I was wearing a pair, on my face, while engaged in conversation, speaking directly to them
b) There were two in the case in front of us, the same as mine, which we were discussing at the time > pointing to and looking at
c) There was a sign next to them to serve as a gentle reminder if needed

They seemed sincerely clueless to me, I felt bad for them... The lack of interpersonal communication skills was as apparent, as much if not more so, than their lack of product knowledge. I didn't get the "entitled Generation" vibe as much as the "I am clueless and helpless and that's the best I can do - *whatever*" vibe. I don't want to sound mean, but I am not sure they could have cared or known much more if they wanted to, if they tried. Like I said, I felt kind of bad about it - it was not a professional 'issue', there wasn't some expectation of sales savvy on my part. I did have an expectation that a living breathing human would be more helpful than a bob head display. Unfortunately this was not the case.

That said I know there are many other local establishments that sell gadgets, widgets, bagels, etc... You can't even get a job at minimum wage [+commission, if applicable] without passing a personality screen to validate how you interact with others and how they perceive you. I am not relating this to Oakley in any way, as they may already do that at some level. I am only saying that it is a proven way to validate the ability of an individual to communicate.

I have a saying: I can usually take a good communicator and teach them something technical, but I can't necessarily teach something technical to someone who cannot communicate.

As I digress...

At the end of the visit not a bad experience - I got those Juliets - but still a sad experience, from a human perspective. And that experience is, to some extent, representative of the brand when that experience occurs in said brand's store.

[RIP perished equine]

Within the last two weeks, I wore my Titanium/Gold Romeo 1's to a Vault and O store. Both times at least one employee at each store complemented me on my R1s. One a bro and the other a broette :) Both good people.

Back