• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Solvent Welding Broken Splice???

Sent you a PM Dr. Chop.

@Xmetalmaniac: I was looking at some UV adhesive from Loctite the other day and they said that it required some crazy expensive (Over 1k) UV light to cure. I doubt most UV lights would put out the appropriate nm to cure the epoxy. I am no expert in that regard but I know that there is a big difference between what a standard blacklight puts out and what a lot of UV lamps for scientific purposes put out. I poked around online a bit and a guy claims to have had it cure in the Oregon sun on an overcast day.

Sent you a PM Dr. Chop.

@Xmetalmaniac: I was looking at some UV adhesive from Loctite the other day and they said that it required some crazy expensive (Over 1k) UV light to cure. I doubt most UV lights would put out the appropriate nm to cure the epoxy. I am no expert in that regard but I know that there is a big difference between what a standard blacklight puts out and what a lot of UV lamps for scientific purposes put out. I poked around online a bit and a guy claims to have had it cure in the Oregon sun on an overcast day.

Next time you visit your dentist take your splice with you.
He should have everything to repair your frame.

Well I appreciate all of the info guys. Dr. Chop is looking into doing the repair and a custom job for me; so I think I am going to go that route. Thanks for all of the info though. It's good to know.

Sent you a PM Dr. Chop.

It may skin over but it will not cure. It's a claim and I look at it that way. I have used the adhesive and been able to reposition the item several times without it curing. As soon as the light hits it..... Done. Everybody likes to play with stuff and take a chance, tinker, and experiment with different products. I have always contacted companies that manufacture stuff and ask before trying it. I deal with some company's that I can get some serious stuff from, and I met a guy in the textile industry who has a chemist background. Serious knowledge about products from fiberglass resins to military grade epoxies. There is stuff that will bond it seriously that trying to break the bond after curing would cause the item to break in another place.

Well that sounds like some awesome stuff. Like I said, it looks like I am going to have Dr. Chop do the work and a custom paint job; instead of me botching the project. He is looking into it right now to figure out the best product to use. IDK what he has access to; but I am sure he knows what he is doing based off of his awesome work.

I was thinking about the drilling of the frame and putting in a pin in for reinforcement. I guess the best way would be to drill one half and then "blue" the hole so you could stamp the other drill point in the exact location when the two pieced are put back together. Not sure if it would be better to drill to the same size of the pin or do over drill it just a little bit and then fill it with resin when the pieces are put together. Probably the latter, since it seams unlikely that you could get a perfectly matched drill point on both sides anyway. Just thinking out loud.

Back