• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Video Games Thread

Did you know there's a pet iguana? Found out just at the right time on the new game. Still waiting to hatch.

Physical copies are slowly going the way of the dodo, even for games that used to make an effort, but as long as they’re available somewhere in the world, I’ll keep buying them. Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (aka a Yakuza side story), Asian version, via PlayAsia. Text and audio both available in English.

IMG_5446.jpeg

upgraded my rig, new mobo, cpu ram and gpu. Also upped my storage from a single 4tb to 2x 10 tb's in hardware Raid 1.

now running i5-13600k, 128gb ddr5, and a 4070 Ti OC 12gb.

Now Averaging about 170 fps all settings max and ray tracing in mech warrior 5, haven't even tried mw2 or others yet. Wow. Merry Christmas and worth the setup/Bios headaches! +5.5 tb usable free space on storage array, and with redundancy now. Chef's kiss!
IMG_4931.jpeg

upgraded my rig, new mobo, cpu ram and gpu. Also upped my storage from a single 4tb to 2x 10 tb's in hardware Raid 1.

now running i5-13600k, 128gb ddr5, and a 4070 Ti OC 12gb.

Now Averaging about 170 fps all settings max and ray tracing in mech warrior 5, haven't even tried mw2 or others yet. Wow. Merry Christmas and worth the setup/Bios headaches! +5.5 tb usable free space on storage array, and with redundancy now. Chef's kiss! View attachment 1104353
Why not an i7 or i9 if you’re going 4070 Ti? I have multiple external drives connected to mine now, I’m at the point where I’d like them all in a single chassis with a single power rail - I have enough USB ports at the back of the case that I’m not too worried about a single data link yet.

Why not an i7 or i9 if you’re going 4070 Ti? I have multiple external drives connected to mine now, I’m at the point where I’d like them all in a single chassis with a single power rail - I have enough USB ports at the back of the case that I’m not too worried about a single data link yet.
if you look up benchmarks the extra money going into the extra cores of an i7 or 9 do nothing in fact slow down fps in most situations. The new i5's have 12 cores more than enough, and looking at the advanced geforce overlay the gpu hits 60% sometimes but the cpu never exceeds 25 so it's farrr from being a bottleneck paired with the 4070 ti. No reason to spend more than (I paid $249) what an i5 costs unless you are doing professional media creation etc. which I am not

I see more sites recommending the i7 13700k than the i5 for a 4070Ti, if their kit manages thermals well enough, but the metrics you get for your actual system are the best benchmark of all. What res are you playing at?

I see more sites recommending the i7 13700k than the i5 for a 4070Ti, if their kit manages thermals well enough, but the metrics you get for your actual system are the best benchmark of all. What res are you playing at?
just this dell 27" 1920x1080 that I'm borrowing from my wife's work.. plenty for me, idk when my credit card quits emitting radiation and the holidays blow over I may start looking at 32" 2 or 4k's. I think 2k (2560x something something) would probably be amazing for me and keep the fps up no matter what I throw at it for a while..and be a little cheaper..
I have a full time job and parenting at home, not a lot of time to sit down and game in reality...sadly...but I really enjoy building these systems and learning all the new doodads they've evolved over the years

Last edited:
just this dell 27" 1920x1080 that I'm borrowing from my wife's work.. plenty for me, idk when my credit card quits emitting radiation and the holidays blow over I may start looking at 32" 2 or 4k's. I think 2k (2560x something something) would probably be amazing for me and keep the fps up no matter what I throw at it for a while..and be a little cheaper..
I have a full time job and parenting at home, not a lot of time to sit down and game in reality...sadly...but I really enjoy building these systems and learning all the new doodads they've evolved over the years
Yeah, that’s plenty for that res and 1440p too.

when it comes to price and performance, a good 27" 1440p/165hz display is the sweetspot right now.

Back