• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The X Metal Frame Finish Thread And Poll

Favorit All Time X Metal Finish

• Carbon

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Polished Carbon

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • X Metal

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Titanium

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 24K (old gen)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 24K (new gen)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TIO2

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Polished

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Plasma

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I assume, for other members in this poll that Copper and Titanium would also be listed under others, correct?

Well...I have a Titanium option...Copper was another pretty rare one that would fit in Other. I always felt Titanium was the most common of the "un-common" as it was on a few models and had multiple generations. Its funny cause only here would people even know about those finishes...I know several 10+ year Oakley employees that don't even know what TIO2 is and its pretty legendary. As the results here so far would make quite evident.

Can someone point me to where I can see the differences between the old and new Plasma?

I'm sure someone here has pieces in hand for comparison...I don't. From what I've heard and seen, early gen Plasma is a "bone" color..champagne is another word used. I've never been a big fan of the color at all...I don't like the newer gen (too common/plain) and the early generations had such horrid finish problems (flaking, discoloration etc) that owning one is pointless if you wear your collection like I do.

I'm sure someone here has pieces in hand for comparison...I don't. From what I've heard and seen, early gen Plasma is a "bone" color..champagne is another word used. I've never been a big fan of the color at all...I don't like the newer gen (too common/plain) and the early generations had such horrid finish problems (flaking, discoloration etc) that owning one is pointless if you wear your collection like I do.
I bought mine around 2004ish, I think. I guess it's a later generation one because I wear it often and never had a problem with the finish.

I bought mine around 2004ish, I think. I guess it's a later generation one because I wear it often and never had a problem with the finish.

Its was the serialed first gen and serialed second generation (with the A) that had the issues if I recall correctly...by the time third generation B came around they got it fixed (I think that's why there were so many generations...fixing that finish problem); early generations of the XX 24K have the problem too with the Plasma orbitals. By 2004 you were in third generation and right on the line where serials stopped (December 2004)

The TiO2 coming in the mail is serialized, I think. Hopefully it won't have that problem with the orbitals.

I think you'll be okay. I've never been one to like go do heavy activity in my X Metals...I have Flak and Straight Jackets etc for that....so its not like I have them pressed up against my face, sweating all over them. That seems to be a major cause of problems. All this TIO2 talk is going to have me wanting a pair. Blah.

I guess it's a good thing that I don't sweat much at all even while being active. LOL

My biggest concern with the TiO2 is the stem coloring wearing off like it's doing on my 24K XX.

I guess it's a good thing that I don't sweat much at all even while being active. LOL

My biggest concern with the TiO2 is the stem coloring wearing off like it's doing on my 24K XX.

I don't think you'll have that problem...if I'm not mistaken the nosebridge and arms are basically the X Metal finish, correct? If so, don't they use a different application process? I think the wear problem with the 24K is the powder coating process used which I unique to that model.

I don't think you'll have that problem...if I'm not mistaken the nosebridge and arms are basically the X Metal finish, correct? If so, don't they use a different application process? I think the wear problem with the 24K is the powder coating process used which I unique to that model.

You are correct....

Back