1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. brownnugen

brownnugen Oakley Beginner

I have a pair of Flak Jacket XLJs that came with the grey polarized lenses. I commute by bike and there are days when I leave when it is dark and come home when it is dark. There are also days when it is just cloudy/overcast. For those reasons, my grey lenses can't be my one size fits all lenses. Maybe I should have ordered the Flak Jackets with the Transition lenses and purchased the Grey polarized lenses as an extra.

Of the following lense choices, which would be the best all around for those days when the grey polarized are not appropriate?
    VR28;
    Persimmon;
    G30 Iridium

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. del518

del518 I have a few pair.....

G30 Iridium.

3. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Persimmon is the brightest lens of those 3 and would work best in the dark, I prefer VR28 for cloudy days.

4. brownnugen

brownnugen Oakley Beginner

Or would it be a better option to try and purchase the amber looking transitions SOLFX lenses? Maybe better to start off with those and then add the grey polarized?

5. BAPD77

BAPD77 Oakley Expert Premium Member

I like persimmon.

6. BAPD77

BAPD77 Oakley Expert Premium Member

H.i yellow isnt ad either.

7. MarcelN

MarcelN Oakley Beginner

I would go with transitions. One lens for all kind of conditions.

8. Herbsley

Herbsley Royal Duke of Hijinx

I commute by road-bike every day and have found over the years that I only ever actually NEED two lens types.

Grey
    &
    Ti Clear

Not the most exciting or flashy of choices - but that's all I ever carry for commuting, as they cover all conditions.

9. UYZ

UYZ Oakley Beginner

At night, Persimmon rocks because headlights on cars has a low shine, cigarette lighter spark to it. In cloudy days, G30 because when sun peaks out, you still have some protection and when sun hides in the cloud, the view has a persimmon-type feel.

10. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

I was wearing a VR50 the other day while it was gloomy and rainy. The sun started to peak out and it was killer with the high-transmission lens. I think G30/VR28 are much better suited for overcast days, like you said, than persimmon or another lens over 30%.

On the other hand, I've worn persimmon in pretty dim conditions and felt it lacked in providing enough detail in the dark. I would KILL for a VR70 lens for night driving.