• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Lens Tint Is This?

Hamming Tools

Oakley Beginner
Missouri
I bought a new pair of Fast Jacket XL (non-polarized), part number OO9156-12. They were supposed to come with Blue Iridium and Jade Iridium lenses. The lenses that came installed do not look like Blue Iridium to me. The other lenses are definitely Jade. I'm guessing they are G30, but I'm not sure. Who can tell by my pic?

IMAG0326.jpg

Nevermind... I think I figured it out. The picture on the website is misleading, I looked at the replacement lens colors part of the website and the picture there looks the same as this.

It's very hard to tell in the pics, but both Blue Iridium and G30 are VERY close. It was hard for me to tell when i was looking at them in person, but Blue Iridium has a bluer tint than G30.

SpliceD said:
It's very hard to tell in the pics, but both Blue Iridium and G30 are VERY close. It was hard for me to tell when i was looking at them in person, but Blue Iridium has a bluer tint than G30.

Agreed. It's also harder to tell in the pictures due to lighting.

yes, unfortunately today's blue iridium is nothing like old blue iridium... god that was sexy. Strong mirror coat of green, blue and purple, with a grey base.

today, blue iridium is like G30 - hi contrast base with a light iridium coat.. the good news? its one HELL of a performance lens in mid-low light conditions!

PS: G30 also used to have a heavier iridium coat back in the day. I have a G30 XLJ for my Half Jackets that actually have a darker iridium coat (and blue-er) than modern blue iridium. I love em

I agree with BriP. I had a pair a few years ago and really liked the blue iridium in them. Last spring I went in and purchased a pair of Radars I with the blue iridium (thinking it was no different than my old pair) and I literally drove 2 blocks and turned around to return them because they were much brighter than I remembered them being once I got outside and noticed it. Just my .02.

It hard to tell from the pics, blue iridium is hard to photograph. The base lense is different between blue iridium and G30, blue is a VR (more rust/brown) while G30 has a rose tint. Side by side blue iridium has a deep blue color and the base lense is darker, G30 has a light blue hue.

Thanks for the replies guys! I was just under the impression that Blue Iridium was more blue, lol. It's deceiving if you look at the picture of the glasses on the website.

Thanks for the replies guys! I was just under the impression that Blue Iridium was more blue, lol. It's deceiving if you look at the picture of the glasses on the website.

When the light hits it right it will be a nice solid blue, but otherwise it's pretty transparent and has a subtle blue hue over VR28. As far as I know G30 won't reflect a solid color and will remain transparent with the same blue mirror hue over the contrast base.

Latest Posts

Back