• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What to watch out for/do I need to be worried?

TestLab

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for all the useful info in here! I've gone through a lot of threads, but I need a bit more focused advice. I've shopped around for current generation frames that I like, but nothing really gets me interested like the X Squared... and of course that's no longer produced, but I hear all this drama about flex couplers, and "round bottom" orbital frames and I need a sanity check.

Do I need to be worried about having to put flex couplers in a pair if I find a used pair? I design and build test machines/fixtures for a living, so mechanical things large and small don't really scare me, but I haven't ever torn a set of these frames down to know if it is "scary".

Is there anything else I need to be warned about with regard to finding a pair that may have been worn some? Do other bits wear out prematurely?

Am I just better off sucking it up and waiting for a BNIB pair?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

X-man and zwc0442 do amazing jobs refurbishing frames and they are easy to ship to and back from if you live in the US. They charge small amounts to replace the very few parts that get damaged over time ( 10 years is possible to keep the rubbers in good condition after a tune up , or more)

Linegear has a good step-by-step instruction, on their site, on how the flex coupler is changed. Considering what you do for a living, I'm sure once you see the instructions your mind will be put at ease. If not, as mentioned, there are experts on this forum who provide this service on a regular basis and know what they are doing.

Flex couplers on x squared are easier to change than other xmetals they don't have the pins they have a screw in the back of the nose piece. Oxm parts sells all the bits you need for replacing them.

The "rounded" bottom XS are very few and far between but OEM XS lenses will fit fine. When you get into custom cuts there can be a small gap at the bottom. I know this because I have a pair of said XS. If you send the frame to one of the master cutters they can cut them to fit your frame.

XS has a nice shim in the lens groove to lessen lens gap as well. Pretty advanced frame.

Leave them alone for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back