• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Whats happening to my sunglasses

Vasito

Oakley Beginner
Hello guys,

I bought these vintage Nike skylon sunglasses today afternoon. I put them in their pouch and in my backpack and when i pulled them out later in the evening they were like that. Has anyone experienced something similar and could give me some insight? Are they permanently damaged or is this just some film or coating that is not essential? Should I return them?

Here are the photos

406713015_288226920368157_8732986045013735820_n.jpg

406676757_664126189268070_2875191258784947255_n.jpg

403402076_878588297323696_8595517817841858412_n.jpg

It's commonly referred to as delamination. Happens on Oakley lenses when hair product, sweat, salt water or other substance(s), get onto the lenses. It reduces the efficacy of the ultra-violet protection embedded in the lenses.
Тhanks a lot for the reply.
As I got them from a bike shop that sells one of old stock vintage models and I really like the style I'm debating on whether I should return them or not.
Apart for reduced ultra violet protection is there anything else that I might expect? Sorry, the questions might seem dumb but I'm really a sunglasses noob, but I particularly enjoy these styles like the eye jacket/minute and was really happy to score a bargain price for these....

As I got them from a bike shop that sells one of old stock vintage models and I really like the style I'm debating on whether I should return them or not.
Apart for reduced ultra violet protection is there anything else that I might expect? Sorry, the questions might seem dumb but I'm really a sunglasses noob, but I particularly enjoy these styles like the eye jacket/minute and was really happy to score a bargain price for these....

Being Nike, I would imagine there’s 3rd party replacement lenses out there for that model.

Revant looks like they sell them but I’m sure there are other options too

Why bother with lesser eyewear? Sorry, but my knowledge on any other glasses manufacturer, is about zilch. What I said, I was going by what can happen too Oakley lenses(and other brands). Basically, those lenses need replacing.

Why bother with lesser eyewear? Sorry, but my knowledge on any other glasses manufacturer, is about zilch. What I said, I was going by what can happen too Oakley lenses(and other brands). Basically, those lenses need replacing.
Well to be honest I only wear shades because I like the look. I know it may sound ignorant or stupid, especially on such a specific forum, but I've never had a problem with the sun going in my eyes and it's more annoying for me to have something on my face heh. But since I really like the look of late 90s/early 00s eyewear and I'm gathering money for a pair of new jackets/minutes I thought I'd get those Nikes, they do look pretty good imho. So yeah, that's basically it. I guess I'll roll with them.

Any advice how I should clean the rest of the coating as to not damage the lenses themselves?

Well to be honest I only wear shades because I like the look. I know it may sound ignorant or stupid, especially on such a specific forum, but I've never had a problem with the sun going in my eyes and it's more annoying for me to have something on my face heh. But since I really like the look of late 90s/early 00s eyewear and I'm gathering money for a pair of new jackets/minutes I thought I'd get those Nikes, they do look pretty good imho. So yeah, that's basically it. I guess I'll roll with them.

Any advice how I should clean the rest of the coating as to not damage the lenses themselves?
They are f#cked!

Back