• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who Should Replace Shawn White as Oak-Lux's Main "Thing That Is On Everything"?

I never could figure out why they never got a major star from the NFL such as Peyton Manning. (Maybe Eli now?) As far as now in the NBA, the only one that I see to fit the model would be Kevin Durant.

My personnel vote would be for Phil "The Power" Taylor.

WAY too much money and WAY too many union restrictions for NFL endorsements would be my guess. NFL viewership is huge, but there's also a lot of "Player X is on my rival team, I won't buy anything he endorses or sponsors!". More individual sports like racing, 'extreme' sports, golf, etc don't have unions I imagine.

I never could figure out why they never got a major star from the NFL such as Peyton Manning. (Maybe Eli now?) As far as now in the NBA, the only one that I see to fit the model would be Kevin Durant.

My personnel vote would be for Phil "The Power" Taylor.

If we're gonna pick up someone from the NBA, it had to be Yao Ming... I can already see the memes!!:laugh:

The problem is that whoever Oakley makes as their main poster boy, there will always be SOMEONE who hasn't heard of them. I personally think Lance Armstrong was their best recent athlete and should be getting more attention but since he isn't competing anymore that won't happen.

You could sponsor an NBA or NFL athlete but again those guys can't really wear the product on the court. Shaun White can wear snow apparel, goggles and etc.

Honestly at this current time Shaun White is the most suitable poster boy.

EDIT: Actually I think he's sponsored by Spy but if Oakley could sign Ken Block that would be pretty sweet. I could see the Black and Jade now...yummy!

Thow a pair of Frogs or Holbrooks in a Lil Wayne/Drake video, and they'll be the hottest thing on the market..

Which brings me my point. The endorser needs to "fit" the sunglass model style he/she is endorsing. Just like we're all different, celebrities and athletes are as well. What might look cool and functional on Lebron James might not work on Lance Armstrong. Oakley needs about 5 different go-to endorsers.

Yeah if Oakley had a few people from different aspects of the entertainment industry that would be pretty sweet.

But Oakley has already worked with people like Lil Jon and T Pain, which didn't work out so great.

Danny Kass is pretty cool. He's got a personality, his own show on fuel tv, and a few special editions already. They could elevate him to sw status.
The Schleck (sp?) bros are cool too.

But do many younger people know who those people are? I bet most of the young to mid age males know who Shaun White is.

Love him or hate him, he has name recoginition.

I don't think sponsoring hip hop artists is the look Oakley wants or should associate themselves with.

I think it depends on the individual artists. Lil Jon and T-Pain are both a bit "clownish". I would think a Drake or T.I. would be fine. From what I've been told, Frogskins became cool again when Kanye wore them on SNL one night.

Oakley needs to spread-out the reach these days, b/c everyone is more fragmented than ever in their tastes. You're not forced to listen to a Top-40 station or watch MTV to get your preferred style of music intersperesed with other styles. A baseball fan doesn't have to watch ESPN and wait through a basketball game before they can watch their sport. They can turn on the MLB network, and vice-versa. Gotta be diverse.

Back