• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal value /popularity 2030

blacky_258

Oakley Enthusiast
Hey Community! Im asking, what would be the value of a, lets say x metal Penny Ruby or Juliet (low serial) in the year 2030?! Will the still be popular?

Are you looking for a real answer?

In 15 years we could see a societal collapse, doomsday event, or a leap in technology that would render sunglasses useless.

If, in 15 years, things are as they are now, Oakley as a company is still around and popular, then I could see X Metals still being quite popular with the Juliet or XX trending to where the Romeo is now in terms of reverence and rarity, the Romeo elevating higher, and the "lesser" pairs being more cult-classics like the Zeros and early Eye Jackets are now.

At the rate things are going now in the year 2030 every component of the new 'neXt-Metal Collection' will be some type of plastic, down to the screws, with the exception of the lenses, which will probably be thinner and less durable than ever.

With the range in sale prices for the specific items you mention I doubt those items will be worth significantly more or less themselves. I think economic factors, the value of a dollar and such, will be a major driver for cost, which is not the same a worth or value.

Also consider that many of the current generation of collectors will have moved on, many for good. Our replacements seem to feel a Badman and Madman are 'worthy' and may not value real X-Metals the way most of us do today.

Maybe a certain company would one day see there is potential, they can possibly fund retroing these classics?

Maybe a certain company would one day see there is potential, they can possibly fund retroing these classics?
Casting is dirty, energy intensive, and outdated. I highly doubt anyone would make that large of an investment to make sunglasses for a small number of brand enthusiasts.

If anything printed inconel or titanium, or another laser-scintered or MIM type process would be used in its place. Which would likely not be able to be done with the vaunted "X-Metal" alloy. Which begs the question - if another all-metal frame is made but it's not the same X-Metal alloy will everyone flip their **** and denigrate that pair for being called X-Metal as much as they did for the current pairs that weren't even distinctly called "X-Metals" but were merely lumped into a "collection"?

Back