• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Advice Needed...

Ares176

Oakley Expert
Singapore
Hi all, I'm just left with ONE needs to complete my mini X-Metal collection...I'm still short of an X-Metal Penny. Now....I've a Titanium Penny (serialized) which I can sell and then buy an X-Metal Penny (serialized). Or I could send it to the XMan to have it refinished in Xmetal but in doing so, the serial becomes mismatch to frame color. Now...what should I do? Any suggestions please? Thank you.

If you want a perfect collection get a proper oakley xmetal finish, if you can live with a re coated pair go to x-man.
It's all up to you. If you have all official oakley then I would want a proper oakley x-metal pair, if you don't mind a re coated one go to x-man

If you want a perfect collection get a proper oakley xmetal finish, if you can live with a re coated pair go to x-man.
It's all up to you. If you have all official oakley then I would want a proper oakley x-metal pair, if you don't mind a re coated one go to x-man
Yeah....that's what I thought initially. All my XM are original finish....but I'm more concern about the serial being mismatch with frame color....but thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

Do you have duplicates of the titanium frame? Or is your collection not inclusive of that frame?

I'd go for an original pair. Unless you're sure the Penny is one you'd never sell. Refinish will degrade value. Especially if you have the matching box for your titanium Penny.

I personally wouldn't care if the serial was removed altogether if you're doing a refinish to another color. The pair won't match what the serial says and you'd have a stripe of lighter color.

I would weigh the cost of shipping, refinishing, return shipping vs. selling and buying the pair you want. If it's $100 to turn yours into what you want, and a real X-metal pair will cost you $200 more... I'd just get them blasted and have a pair with a full tuneup from X-Man.

Thanx Rustpot. The Penny is a complete set with coin and matching box. So, I figure its going to be hard to find something like that if I were to sell it off. And a XM Penny with same condition is gonna cost a lot more. And I dun have duplicates of the Penny....
Looks like I'm gonna have to start hunting for a XM Penny with matching box...

it really is a tough call.if they are pretty beat you wont make much on a sale. A complete tune and refinish may get you more as refinished new condition.just depends on the serial number range and actual condition .