• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Alternative Microfiber?

Mainly this guy if it's oils/etc (which is of a better material than the microfiber bags which I have no doubt Luxxotica made even cheaper now)

View attachment 899628
Soft microfiber cloth for any brushing of stuff the blower bulb didn't get off.

If it's safe for my camera lens' coating, it's safe for the Oakley which aren't nearly as expensive (and you can't just swap the front element on camera lens).

Hence saying should be trained for that, and even Oakley themselves just says use a soft microfiber cloth (dry) with no specific warning to use only their bags. Despite saying should only clean them dry, they sell a lot of wet cleaning kits.

And that seems pretty wide spread if they're doing exactly the same thing on both sides of Michigan and in the O Store in Manhattan, almost like that's what they were trained to do.
$170 for one cloth ? :oops:

$170 for one cloth ? :oops:
For the Neutral Density filter next to it, it comes with the cloth, just couldn't find that specific cloth on their accessories page but it's basically the exact same kind of weave just thicker/tighter, more absorbent than the Oakley bag microfiber material. (granted of course the Breakthrough filters use a metal deposit coating with a 25 year warranty, and would withstand a lot more than your typical lens).

For the Neutral Density filter next to it, it comes with the cloth, just couldn't find that specific cloth on their accessories page but it's basically the exact same kind of weave just thicker/tighter, more absorbent than the Oakley bag microfiber material. (granted of course the Breakthrough filters use a metal deposit coating with a 25 year warranty, and would withstand a lot more than your typical lens).
right, i thought so as well .......... .. 170 😂

we also have to remember Oakley lenses scratch a hell of a lot easier than any camera lens and even other sunglass lenses. They are nice but fragile af.

we also have to remember Oakley lenses scratch a hell of a lot easier than any camera lens and even other sunglass lenses. They are nice but fragile af.
I'm aware, the filters there are course stronger and with the way I treat em they'll be forever. Half of my lens gear is vintage, including a 1953 Canon Serenar 35mm f/2.8 that I like to use for long exposure. Coating is still intact but known to be delicate, similar to the coating on my Russian Jupiter-11 135/4 and some others I have from the 60s and 70s before decent multilayer coating came around.

Edit: and people shouldn't be unnecessarily grinding into their lens especially the front. I've seen brand new equipment be it camera lens, fountain pens, and what not damaged from excessive cleaning and maintenance.

Last edited:
Sorry, but there’s NO way I’m using any paper products on my lenses.
Paper production processes are NOT rigged to filter out particulate grit that can be part of the wood composition.
As for cleaning microfibre cloths;
I use a “smoothie” shaker cup (has a water-tight lid) filled with warm water and a tiny drop of Dawn dish soap. Put in the cloths, secure the lid and agitate it for a minute. After a few agitations, pour out the solution, and refill with warm water only, and agitate again.
Repeat with warm water until the solution no longer foams in the shaker.
Hang the cloths to dry, and you’re good to go again.
:hi:

Paper production processes are NOT rigged to filter out particulate grit that can be part of the wood composition.
I use a “smoothie” shaker cup (has a water-tight lid) filled with warm water and a tiny drop of Dawn dish soap. Put in the cloths, secure the lid and agitate it for a minute. After a few agitations, pour out the solution, and refill with warm water only, and agitate again.

Very nice technique and something you can go further with (if you really really really want to) by using distilled water to get rid of any minerals of hard water tap.

I imagine you could do the same with those Oakley reusable filteres for the MSK3 mask since you're supposed to hand wash those anyways.

PS: Not all 'paper' product is from wood, but some are from sugarcane, some from cotton, etc.

That’s hardcore....pretty impressed I must say. I just put them all in the washing machine together, never use fabric softener and hang to dry.

Latest Posts

Back