• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone have experience with Prescription Oakley glasses?

I think they just called it the True Digital lens, no AR coating cuz that kind of coating seems to attract more dirt and smudges easier I think. Pretty much the most basic lens Oakley makes.

Hello All! I've had Oakley Dictate 4.0 frame (metal) since 2009, I liked the frame a lot but some 3 millimeters of paint went off on a rather visible place and the cushions that are placed behind ears went off one by one (so it's impossible to wear these for more than 4 hours) after a year or so. Still I play with the idea of getting myself another pair. To my surprise, there's no metal frames like Oakley Dictate nowadays. Anyone knows why and for how long has it been this way? Really don't want to abandon the brand but can't find anything suitable...

All non EDGE OTD lenses are coated with Oakley Stealth AR. Most have a backside AR as well.

Stealth AR is a hydrophobic/olio phobic, Anti Reflective, and anti scratch coating.

Hello All! I've had Oakley Dictate 4.0 frame (metal) since 2009, I liked the frame a lot but some 3 millimeters of paint went off on a rather visible place and the cushions that are placed behind ears went off one by one (so it's impossible to wear these for more than 4 hours) after a year or so. Still I play with the idea of getting myself another pair. To my surprise, there's no metal frames like Oakley Dictate nowadays. Anyone knows why and for how long has it been this way? Really don't want to abandon the brand but can't find anything suitable...

Use eBay and find older frames that you like. There's a similar model to Dictate that was called Metal Plate. Full titanium and sports Mono or twin shock hinges.

Use eBay and find older frames that you like. There's a similar model to Dictate that was called Metal Plate. Full titanium and sports Mono or twin shock hinges.

Well... I'd better go and find some guy to restore the paint and the cushions on my Dictates... do you mean there'll be no newer models like this any more?

Well... I'd better go and find some guy to restore the paint and the cushions on my Dictates... do you mean there'll be no newer models like this any more?
Are you dead set on full metal frames? Here's a similar style that has O-Matter orbitals but Aluminum arms-
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/presc...X8035/?skuCode=OX8035-0352&categoryCode=m1202

Another option is eBay, or just walking into local optical shops. A lot of the smaller shops don't move as many Oakley frames as the larger stores do, so you can find older models brand new on the shelf.

Are you dead set on full metal frames? Here's a similar style that has O-Matter orbitals but Aluminum arms-
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/presc...X8035/?skuCode=OX8035-0352&categoryCode=m1202

Another option is eBay, or just walking into local optical shops. A lot of the smaller shops don't move as many Oakley frames as the larger stores do, so you can find older models brand new on the shelf.

I liked Oakley for having metal frames that looked solid - just wanted to know if they plan to release these in future. I suppose they don't.

I liked Oakley for having metal frames that looked solid - just wanted to know if they plan to release these in future. I suppose they don't.
They still offer quite a few metal frames, though the materials and designs have changed since your last Rx frame purchase. Oakley does quite a bit with titanium wire frames these days, which is what my personal Rx frames are. The trends have just gone away from heavier full metal frames in favor of super light, super strong frames that can be half or full orbitals/wires.

Also, without knowing much about your facial geometry, you could check out the much older Hatchet Wire frame and have Rx lenses made for it. It's a full O-lumium frame that can easily be used as a daily wear Rx frame. It's also much older though and probably harder to find than your current Rx frame.

I wear a pair of Crosslink Pros on a daily basis... Also have a normal pair of Crosslinks with the changeable arms.
I tend to wear the Pros more as the arms are heavier duty.
Only complaint so far is the unobtanium fell apart after about a year... But was able to find replacements on eBay.

I'm eventually gonna try to have some Juliet lenses made... But worried my strong astigmatism will limit me to different frames.

I have a semi local shop willing to try though... If anyone is interested try Paul at Vutt Sunglasses in Burlington NJ.

Back