• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anything Other Than Oakley?

mellman

Oakley Beginner
VA
OK so I know this is an oakley forum, and all of us here share the bond of a love for Oakley shades but I was curious what other brands you may occasionally splurge on and add to your collection? For me, i have some cheap $3 aviators i picked up from amazon...wanted them for situations where i didn't care if they got lost/broke/stolen etc. So, the beach, swimming, boating...etc. My other pair of non oakleys is a pair of polarized Maui Jim Sports...I gotta say they are sweet! I typically pick them for driving.

So, confession time, where have you stepped outside the oakley realm?

I've had a few pairs of Spy Optics glasses. Logan, Hielo, Dirty Mo. I currently have a pair of Native Eyewear Vigor too. Always come back to my Oakley's though.

Can't say that I ever have. I mean, I've worn some clear safety glasses a few times.....but then I got some beater Oaks for those scenarios down the road.

Never have, never will.

I work at a sunglass store, so I have won a few pairs of non-oakleys in a couple sales contests and such. I've have a pair of Maui Jim Aloha Fridays and a pair of Costa Caballitos. I also bought a pair of Spy Mccoys in a special "contest-only" Dale Jr. Diet Mountain Dew colorway. I'm a big fan of both Dale Jr. and Diet Dew so I had to snag em up when I saw em on the 'bay, even though I now regret it. Spy, Costa, Maui Jim, Kaenon, Smith, Native, Revo, Electric, Von Zipper, etc are slightly better than some of these $5 cheapies people pollute their eyes with, but nothing is ever really going to truly compare to a pair of Oakleys. Sure I'll take a free pair of brand new sunglasses of (almost) any brand any day, who wouldn't? That's free money! However, I don't think I'll ever spend my money on anything again other than Oakleys. The way I see it is every dollar I spend on another brand is one less dollar I get to spend on Oakley!

I've tried RayBan's and Maui Jim's but I think I'll stick with Oakley's. Before when my eyes were good I only get Oakley's. Love the clarity and style and told myself I would never try anything else. I bought a pair $10 sunglasses from those carts at the mall, gave me a headache after wearing them for too long I guess due to the poor lens quality. Don't know how my friend does it, he has a pair of hazy scratched up aviators that he wears all the time. Since then my eyes weren't seeing as clear anymore and so I went with some RayBan prescription sunglasses since the Oakley's were too expensive. I've then lost those and now I'm going back to Oakley's and giving their prescription lenses a try.

I have a pair of polarized matte black MilSpec Fossil PS4746 sunglasses that my little brother gave me after his last deployment. They fit just fine and the lens view was great, but aesthetically they leave a lot to be desired. That and the right side earstem is missing the end rubber piece and I have no idea where it went to.

They look like this -

ps4746x001-500-500.jpg

Back