• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Awesome Stuff

Made this over the weekend.

3122d1969f74664e0c5219e2513c43ad.jpg

Fan it out...

What's the NES made out of
Sorry, I missed this... It is made of borosilicate glass that has been media blasted. It was featured in a glass blowing magazine a few years ago, I have no idea which one though. He is very good with ceramics as well, but there is a lot more money in pipes (because collectors spend lots of money on funny stuff ;)). Here is one of his more "traditional" pieces.
CHIPG-SGKRUNK-19034_300_300_c1.jpg

I knew "Edison Bulbs" or antique filament style bulbs were a thing, but I'm generally a fan of getting actual output out of my light fixtures. In incan form they're pretty inefficient, giving off a warm color that's not very bright for the 60W or so they consume. Through my insomniac stumbling I discovered they come in LED form, so you can have one that consumes 4W instead as a mood light in a room, and they're about the same price as the incandescent versions. And dimmable in many cases.

I had cash loaded on an Amazon gift card, I ordered one for my office. Planning on ditching one of the lamp shades and seeing how it looks and feels. I might build some dedicated fixtures for these. I got one of the skinny ones, not the super long.

temporary-Home-Decor-Interior-Warm-Light-Lamp-DIY-E27-Lighting-Incandescent-Bulb-Lights-Fixtures.jpg

I knew "Edison Bulbs" or antique filament style bulbs were a thing, but I'm generally a fan of getting actual output out of my light fixtures. In incan form they're pretty inefficient, giving off a warm color that's not very bright for the 60W or so they consume. Through my insomniac stumbling I discovered they come in LED form, so you can have one that consumes 4W instead as a mood light in a room, and they're about the same price as the incandescent versions. And dimmable in many cases.

I had cash loaded on an Amazon gift card, I ordered one for my office. Planning on ditching one of the lamp shades and seeing how it looks and feels. I might build some dedicated fixtures for these. I got one of the skinny ones, not the super long.

temporary-Home-Decor-Interior-Warm-Light-Lamp-DIY-E27-Lighting-Incandescent-Bulb-Lights-Fixtures.jpg

Some of them use PWM to regulate output (they blink on/off very quickly) and if the frequency isn't high enough it will give a strobe like effect (some people are more sensitive than others to this) that I at least find incredibly annoying. It is an issue with lots of LED lights and in most cases there is no way of knowing until you buy. Thankfully most LED bulbs are pretty inexpensive now.

PWM (pulse width modulation) has a bad reputation on CPF in comparison to CCR (constant current reduction), but in truth there's pros and cons for both. Regardless, dimming is controlled by the LED driver, so an extra complication (compared to a flashlight) is added when using dimmable replacement LED bulbs with traditional dimming switches designed for legacy incandescent or florescent bulbs. The most common dimmer switch is a TRIAC dimmer, which uses phase control dimming (a concept different than but vaguely similar to PWM). The challenge is the LED driver must correctly interpret the dimming signal from the TRIAC dimmer then dim the LED accordingly (whether through PWM or CCR).

Avoiding going into more TMI, the point is there can be a lot of issues when you pair a phase control device with a LED driver before you even have to worry about PWM vs. CCR.

There's a decent article on the subject here:
LEDs: A Deep Dive in Dimming

But as far as Rustpot's experience will be, I guess time will tell. Using a single dimmable LED bulb per dimmer switch (as opposed to several bulbs wired in series) reduces the chances of a lot of the problems.

Back