• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Black Iridium Polarized Vs Vr28 Black Iridium Polarized?

Here's my feedback on the VR28 BIP for those still contemplating this lens. I have to say that I really like them. They make things brighter with more contrast than the black iridium I've been using for a decade, which are more of a natural color, just darker. I generally like things to be natural and not artificially enhanced, but this lens is actually quite nice.

The polarization is perfect in terms of the angle of polarization not interfering with the car gauges or windows, nor when looking at my phone. So in this regard they're perfect and get rid of additional glare compared to the previous BI lenses. I've veered away from polarized for my driving glasses due to this fear. My water jackets and Flak 2.0 Prizms don't perform as well in the car as these do.

I do overall prefer the look of the BI from the outside. That dark sinister look is just awesome. In addition, with the VR28 you can see more of my eyes, which I don't like as much. It's not so much so that it really bothers me though. My 3 year old daughter said "where are your black glasses". Observant little cutie ;-). Quite honestly, I don't think anyone else who has seen me wearing the other lenses will even notice; I think she's particularly observant as part of her personality. It will be interesting to see if anyone else says anything.

Anyway, I don't before I got to this thread it was kind of outdated, however, I think this topic is still valuable, and wanted to share my experience for others who may be researching down the road.

Here's my feedback on the VR28 BIP for those still contemplating this lens. I have to say that I really like them. They make things brighter with more contrast than the black iridium I've been using for a decade, which are more of a natural color, just darker. I generally like things to be natural and not artificially enhanced, but this lens is actually quite nice.

The polarization is perfect in terms of the angle of polarization not interfering with the car gauges or windows, nor when looking at my phone. So in this regard they're perfect and get rid of additional glare compared to the previous BI lenses. I've veered away from polarized for my driving glasses due to this fear. My water jackets and Flak 2.0 Prizms don't perform as well in the car as these do.

I do overall prefer the look of the BI from the outside. That dark sinister look is just awesome. In addition, with the VR28 you can see more of my eyes, which I don't like as much. It's not so much so that it really bothers me though. My 3 year old daughter said "where are your black glasses". Observant little cutie ;-). Quite honestly, I don't think anyone else who has seen me wearing the other lenses will even notice; I think she's particularly observant as part of her personality. It will be interesting to see if anyone else says anything.

Anyway, I don't before I got to this thread it was kind of outdated, however, I think this topic is still valuable, and wanted to share my experience for others who may be researching down the road.

Glad you like them.

A couple of comments -

The effect of "seeing more of your eyes" is primarily due to light leakage behind the lenses, i.e. light gets in from the space between the orbitals and your face. You'll find in situations where you can block most or all of that light leakage, such as standing in a shady spot or wearing a brimmed hat, from the outside they will appear practically indistinguishable from BI / BIP.

Interesting that you're having different experiences with polarization & LCDs between different Oakley frames. All Oakley lenses should have the same polarization orientation and the variable is the polarization orientation of the light coming from the LCD screens, which can vary from screen to screen. The problem is caused when the light coming from the LCD is polarized at the same orientation as what is blocked by the lenses.

Yeah, that is curious. Maybe the old water jackets have a different angle of polarization? But that wouldn't explain the newer Flaks... Not sure what's going on there.

Oakley HQ said they would discount new lenses due to delamination, however, they're having inventory issues and won't have them for several months or longer. They said Juliets are the oldest discontinued frame they're still supporting. I think I'll get BIP to have as a second option to change out with these, though I don't know under what circumstances I would want to change. Or maybe another option that people like? There may not be many options going direct though.

Well that's the thing, Oakley polarized lenses have always had the polarization orientation set to block light reflected up from a surface (wet road, car hood, etc); they don't make different lenses at different orientations.

You can test it like this - get in front of a LCD screen like a computer monitor. Hold the glasses out in front of you so you can see the screen through the lenses. Start to rotate them counterclockwise. They will darken and then block the screen at a particular angle (typically 45 or 90 degrees, depending on the screen). Repeat the test using your other two polarized sets with the same LCD screen. They should all block the screen at the same angle, meaning they're all set at the same polarization orientation.

Thanks; will do. I just recall my water jackets in particular having the rainbowing effect on the windshield, whereas these don't with my car (they do with windows on buildings). Anyway, I'll test it again; maybe I'm getting old and my I'm losing it....!

Thanks; will do. I just recall my water jackets in particular having the rainbowing effect on the windshield, whereas these don't with my car (they do with windows on buildings). Anyway, I'll test it again; maybe I'm getting old and my I'm losing it....!
Yup. You're old and losing it. Sorry dude.

Exactly the reason I do not take polarizeds for work.. cannot see my displays at all angles and that is a problem since everything is touchscreen LCD nowadays.

OT: I have the VR28BiP in my PB1's and that is the finest lens I have in my opinion.

I’m looking to get flak 2. I have very light sensitive eyes. I drive and I’m the field a lot in bright sunlight.

After reading all the above, my summary is:

Black iridium polarized: darker, polarized
Vr28 Black iridium polarized: 28% light transmission(lighter), red/brown based, greater green contrast.

I often use my polarized sunglasses to drive at night, due to helping with glare; and during rain/road spray reduction.

Suggestions from those blue-eyed, light sensitive persons?

Thanks.

Black iridium polarized: darker, polarized
Vr28 Black iridium polarized: 28% light transmission(lighter), red/brown based, greater green contrast.

Not quite - plain VR28 are 28% trans but this is about VR28 Black Iridium Polarized (BIP) which are only 10% trans, compared to 9% trans for regular BIP. And Oakley doesn't make anything darker than 9%.

I've found Prizm Trail to be excellent rain glasses. They're not polarized but you don't need polarized in the rain.

Polarization is also of little use at night. It's not like polarization is some "all encompassing glare reducer"; the polarization in sunglasses is oriented to reduce glare by blocking light being reflected up from below you. For oncoming headlights, they don't have much more than a placebo effect.

In general it is not a good idea to wear sunglasses while driving at night regardless of how sensitive you feel.

i-dont-always-wear-sunglasses-at-night-but-when-i-do-im-on-drugs.jpg

Back