• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bored Prototype Tech at work

Phil da Prototypist

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Arizona
So I found the need to replace some of the old school heater lenses today as the vented positive red I had decided to craze and cause distortions. I grabbed a couple a frame 2.0 donor lenses I had this morning an went about my way to work. Since we were slow and I had a good template handy I went to town. Mind you everything was done by hand with the exception of the pneumatic tools. I grabbed some diamond coated dremel bits, traced my pattern out and stopped. Thinking to myself man am I really about to go at this. Thought for a brief second. Screw it. Cranked the air dremel up to a decent rpm and started hacking the lens into shape. Btw not for the faint hearted lol. Start out rough cutting then went at it by hand with 80 grit sand paper to get the shape. Moved to a rat tail file to knock out the vented areas an notches for the lugs. Finished it off with a wet sanding off 500. We have some diamond grit paper glass lenses I’ll throw the fine grit at the edges with some wet sanding as well. But over all very please with the handy 🤣

IMG_2657.png

IMG_2658.png

IMG_2659.png

IMG_2660.png

IMG_2661.png

IMG_2656.png

Very nice work. I am always interested in custom lenses in OEM colorways that were not produced.

Very nice work. I am always interested in custom lenses in OEM colorways that were not produced.
I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. I picked up some rare a frame 2.0 lenses recently. Just deciding if I want to do it myself I’d have Dave do It so they’ll be etched

Back