• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can the serial be printed on X-Metal frame?

Linegear Japan

X-Metal Professional
Platinum Forum Sponsor
Premium Member
Lifetime Sponsor
Japan
Just curious to know if the serial number can be printed on the left stem?

What triggers me to ask is because I have seen a number of serial looks a bit pale compared to other frame (see the two XX X-Metal below). And the concerning one is they are different on the same frame.

And it happens once for the rare X serial Juliet where the first three digit (002) look different to the last three (529). So if that is possible, a frame with ten of thousandth can be edited to the lower and sweet spot of below 5,000. See picture.
16935649_1481347771878164_1527378493_o.jpg

And here are two XX X-Metal, one has a clear serial number (027598) and the other have the mixed one with first three digit (021) serial different to the last three (226). I hope the picture are clear enough to see.

IMG_8522.JPG

Or probably, these are factory defect (*not consistent power of laser) because the merit to change the serial number on the XX X-Metal doesn't seem to be such rewarding.

Any idea?

Last edited:
I have several like that and as far as I can tell, it's just from handling them.

But to answer your question, and make you a bit nervous, yes serial numbers can and are being faked. There's at least one person in Brazil advertising on FB that he can put any serial on a frame. I'll try to find the link but he posts in all the x metal type groups.

Where the different looking section is on some of the serials I think its the spots where they were attached to the main casting. If you look on the right arms you should see an area of slightly different colored or texture of the titanium in the same area. All arms have this slightly different looking spot in that area I have some pics I think of them attached to the casting still somewhere as well.

I have several like that and as far as I can tell, it's just from handling them.

But to answer your question, and make you a bit nervous, yes serial numbers can and are being faked. There's at least one person in Brazil advertising on FB that he can put any serial on a frame. I'll try to find the link but he posts in all the x metal type groups.
This.

Damn Brazil!!!!!! Back at it again with your shadiness :focus-97:

:acute:

Where the different looking section is on some of the serials I think its the spots where they were attached to the main casting. If you look on the right arms you should see an area of slightly different colored or texture of the titanium in the same area. All arms have this slightly different looking spot in that area I have some pics I think of them attached to the casting still somewhere as well.
That is it, it makes sense.... I just confirmed the right stem with some handling mark too.