• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Couple questions on a double wide 3.0

Codechimp08

I should work....
Premium Member
Massachusetts
1. I've looked around and found some threads but none that really answer my question. My case has "Cool white" LED's on the top shining down. The header light and the base light are both "cool white" fluorescent tubes but the light is very yellow in color (I prefer the bluish cool white). Is this just the effect of the light shining through the opaque Oakley on the header and the opaque plexi that is the base? Guess my bottom line question is would swapping the fluorescents for a "Cool white" LED strip change the appearance of the light from the header and the base to a more bluish white.

2. Has anyone used a polishing compound on the plexi doors to remove marks or scratches and is it worth it or better to just replace the doors?

Thanks

1. I've looked around and found some threads but none that really answer my question. My case has "Cool white" LED's on the top shining down. The header light and the base light are both "cool white" fluorescent tubes but the light is very yellow in color (I prefer the bluish cool white). Is this just the effect of the light shining through the opaque Oakley on the header and the opaque plexi that is the base? Guess my bottom line question is would swapping the fluorescents for a "Cool white" LED strip change the appearance of the light from the header and the base to a more bluish white.

2. Has anyone used a polishing compound on the plexi doors to remove marks or scratches and is it worth it or better to just replace the doors?

Thanks

I’m no case guru, but I replaced the bulbs in my single, and it was definitely much brighter and less yellow.

We are in the process of restoring a few cases now and its possible to polish anything out to a certain degree. Plexiglass is similar to headlight restoration as its basically the same material. If you have a drill or buffer for polishing its much easier.

I used some compounds I have for automotive detailing coupled with my mini polisher and just restored an RX slim Oakley case with great results.

As for the metal I used some metal polish(very lightly) and if it made it turn black I used some wheel acid to brighten the metal back up. If you want any of the products I used you can pm me. The metal is a little tricky depending on if you want the maintain the raw lookin aluminum. Theres another post on restoring the cases with Sheila Shine and Mothers to get out scratches.

A lot of patience and buffing can yield great results, otherwise just get some plexi cut and replace it. Hope this helps.

We are in the process of restoring a few cases now and its possible to polish anything out to a certain degree. Plexiglass is similar to headlight restoration as its basically the same material. If you have a drill or buffer for polishing its much easier.

I used some compounds I have for automotive detailing coupled with my mini polisher and just restored an RX slim Oakley case with great results.

As for the metal I used some metal polish(very lightly) and if it made it turn black I used some wheel acid to brighten the metal back up. If you want any of the products I used you can pm me. The metal is a little tricky depending on if you want the maintain the raw lookin aluminum. Theres another post on restoring the cases with Sheila Shine and Mothers to get out scratches.

A lot of patience and buffing can yield great results, otherwise just get some plexi cut and replace it. Hope this helps.
Been here done that! Lol

Been here done that! Lol

They are a labor of love and need to all be saved. My brother has acquired several lately and we will have a nice collection going.
236bb512cfdf2edfca09b5339c76fbcf.jpg
d0b0e9e2007d6b4453b978dee5cd5aec.jpg
ca90339f06e960b7e63a47836ed72cf8.jpg

I’m no case guru, but I replaced the bulbs in my single, and it was definitely much brighter and less yellow.

They are a labor of love and need to all be saved. My brother has acquired several lately and we will have a nice collection going. View attachment 560446View attachment 560447View attachment 560448

Thanks guys, ordered some plexi polishing compound and will see what I can do to get the scratches out. Also ordered some Daylight (5000k) T8 ballast bypass LED tubes to try out. If they work great, otherwise I'll have to just manually bypass the ballast. I will post pics when I have them installed.

Thanks guys, ordered some plexi polishing compound and will see what I can do to get the scratches out. Also ordered some Daylight (5000k) T8 ballast bypass LED tubes to try out. If they work great, otherwise I'll have to just manually bypass the ballast. I will post pics when I have them installed.

Please post what you find when you do this led conversion. I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine.

On my Former 3.0 case I replaced the lower ballasts with an LED set purchased at Depot. I mounted it using two of the existing holes from ballasts. It worked great and kept the lower shelf cool too. Definitely worth it.